Sweet Stout Deception Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Give it a taste. If it tastes good, move it to the keg. If you think it needs more time on the yeast, don't rack it yet. I bet it will be good to go though. It's probably really good with that irish ale yeast.

It tastes pretty damn good. If it were carbonated I think I could start drinking it now! But patience is a virtue and I WILL wait til St. Patrick's Day. :ban:

I just opened the first bottle - early of course, after a week and a half.

Another VERY satisfied customer here. This is a great stout.

I just ordered my ingredients for this. It will be my second beer and my first brew day with a buddy. Really looking forward to trying this out.

I brewed this about a month ago and kegged it a few days ago... It came out awesome! Thanks for the recipe; this will be one that I will have to brew again (and again)

Allright,

Im a noobie. But can someone tell me how long and what temp to steep the specialty grains at?
And does that go the same for all extracts?

Thanks

Typically you'd steep the grains at 150F for 30 min.

^^^This^^^ And yes, that would work for any extract recipe. You don't have to be super concerned with temperature when doing an extract with steeping grains recipe because you are not going for fermentable sugars with specialty grains. As long as the temp was somewhere between say 146 and 160, you should be fine. What I used to do would be to heat the water up to about 158, drop in the grain bag, and let it sit. When you add the grain bag the temp of the water will drop 5-10 degrees which would put you at 148-153.

So im brewing thos 2moro. And i decided just for the heck of it to punch the recipe into promash. Looks like .75oz of hops @ 13.4% for 60 min comes to an ibu of around 41 or 42. But if i drop it to .5oz its almost dead on with the ibu. So im wondering if the poster of this recipe used the .75oz or if its a typo and he only used .5oz? Or maybe im just getting too technical. Someone let me know if i should just follow the recipe or adjust to get the 27 ibu?

Thanks

So im brewing thos 2moro. And i decided just for the heck of it to punch the recipe into promash. Looks like .75oz of hops @ 13.4% for 60 min comes to an ibu of around 41 or 42. But if i drop it to .5oz its almost dead on with the ibu. So im wondering if the poster of this recipe used the .75oz or if its a typo and he only used .5oz? Or maybe im just getting too technical. Someone let me know if i should just follow the recipe or adjust to get the 27 ibu?

Thanks

I did the calculations after I brewed it, and then found out the recipe is based on a partial boil. Mine has more ibu's then originally intended, but it is still a very tasty brew. So if you want to stick to the recipe, then dial the hops back a little. :mug:

I brewed this for the first time yesterday. Good thing I read a lot of HBT or I would have had some serious boil over on my stove top. I kept my eye on it and everything turned out fine. This morning after twelve hours I have minor bubbles. My question is about Original gravity. When I took my reading I got some break material in my beaker. Will this screw up the reading? It was really high at 1088.

I used the extract recipe from the first post to do a five gallon batch. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I let my batch sit for 4 weeks finished to 1.20. Racked it into a clean bucket to bottle. But I had a problem with pulling in to much trub, So the question is how long do I have to let it sit and settle out? Its in a plastic brew bucket and I cant see through it.

Would Cascade or Centennial hops work well with this? I have about .5 oz of each leftover from another batch.

IMO No. Too Citrusy. You could use them but the result would not be the same.

Thank you for letting me know - I'm not very well versed on how different hops taste. Was hoping to pick up my hops at the local shop. If they don't have German Magnum, are there any others that are comparable?

I let my batch sit for 4 weeks finished to 1.20. Racked it into a clean bucket to bottle. But I had a problem with pulling in to much trub, So the question is how long do I have to let it sit and settle out? Its in a plastic brew bucket and I cant see through it.

Can someone help

So i gave this recipe a try last night. 2nd all grain batch and 1st with ingredients that I put together at the LHBS. Mash and sparge went well but I hit some bumps when it came to the boil. Since I was used to having everything premeasured out for me in the kits I've bought, i didn't have a scale to measure hops or lactose. I had to guestimate both of those. The hops are what worry me, cause who knows how many IBUs ill really have. Then it was getting to late and I had to get up for a conference in the morning so i decided to just let the batch cool down overnight (i've read about no chill brewing and since this didn't have any late hop additions thought it would be just fine) (by the way, I dont have a chiller yet so I've been just doing the water bath in the tub method, works but takes forever). i pulled out my hop bag and put the lid on the kettle and let it sit next to the sliding glass door overnight. 7am still at 90F not ready to pitch. Got home around 11pm and temp is at 68F. Perfect. Only problem is I lost around an extra .25 to .5 gallon in boil-off because of the no-chill (should've put the lid on sooner). OG is 1.067 for around 4.75 gallons. Good efficiencies in beer smith, but I would rather have that extra beer. Transferred to carboy (did i mention this is the first time i'm using that as a primary fermenter instead of my bucket, i wanna watch what's going on in there). areated as best i could and then pitched the yeast. went to put the stopper in and it wont stay, just keeps getting popped right back out after a few seconds. so some rubber bands and a few minutes later, it seems to be staying. I think that was my longest brew day yet. and now it's time to buy more equipment: scale and chiller. Lets hope this beer comes out nice and tasty and i learn from my blunders. thanks for the recipe. oh and i tasted the OG sample and it had a faint smell of soy sauce, anyone else ever get that?

My LHBS only has 450L chocolate malt and 500L whole roasted barley malt. Do you think I can sub them weight for weight with the 350 SRM Chocolate Malt and 300 SRM Roasted Barley or would the taste be very different? Would it be better to try and adjust the weights so that my final SRM is equivalent?

Pretty excited about making this batch it'll be my forth one.Kind of a newbie to homebrewing but you gotta love this hobby kind of turns into an obsession!!!

What real benefit would there be with a 1 month fermentation?This recipe calls for one yet everywhere I've read says there's real no benefit for a beer to sit longer than 3 weeks....Irish Red in the secondary I'm going to brew this batch this weekend..

That's just what I did when I brewed it. The difference between 3 and 4 weeks is probably minimal. Do what you want.

Well, I brewed this on Jan 17th and started cracking bottles last night. LOVE IT! It finished pretty dry (1.010) due to missing my mash temp. Even though it's a bit dry it's still creamy and smooth. This one won't last long!

Juilin said:
If I wanted to make this be a little bit creamier, what would I need to do to it?

Try more lactose . I put a full pound in (which is still within style guidelines). That might help. I'm sure others will weigh in as well.

Well I picked up the ingredients the other day from my LHBS and ended up leaving with a Nottingham dry yeast packet.I've used this product before with no problems but never brewed a cream stout.Any thoughts should I return it and pick up liquid instead.Brew day is Saturday so I got some time I'm realy not sure of the benefits of liquid yeast compared to dry yeast.

Centennial seems like an odd choice, but you are just bittering. Northern Brewer is a substitute for Magnum. Personally, I've used Northern Brewer and liked NB better than the Magnum.

Relatively new to homebrewing so I'm not to sure about hops and there different qualitys.So with that being said I'm realy just going on what's listed as the ingredients.

.75 German Magnum
Would Nothern Brewer be a better choice?

I like NB myself. Also, I have a friend that brews this recipe too. Since I got him to try NB, he doesn't use magnum anymore. NB would definitely be a better choice than centennial.

I'm just starting to drink mine. I doubled the lactose per a suggestion and made a 2 gallon batch to see if I liked like. I really like this beer! I'm going to brew it again, probably a four gallon batch but cut back on the lactose to dry it out some. I used Yakima Magnum for bittering with good success. I also used Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast in the refrigerator because I had harvested some from a previous beer and thought it turned out well.

For me it was 18 days primary and 18 days in the bottle. OG: 1.061, FG: 1.026, ABV: ~4.3%. This beer is definitely going to be brewed again.

I realize most people aren't going to read through 28 pages of replies, so I will just restate a few things about the recipe. People seem to blindly use the same amount of bittering hops. DONT!!

The IBUs are listed in the recipe as 30ish. If 0.75oz gives you 40, then why not adjust it? I did a partial boil (4 gal?), so obviously I got worse utilization than one would get with a full boil.

Also, bittering variety isn't important as long as you are using a clean bittering hop. The beer is too roasty to ever notice a difference between Northern Brewer and Magnum, for example.

Yes, other English and American yeast can work. Will it be exactly the same? Probably not, but it should be close.

If your chocolate malt or roasted barley is a little darker or lighter, that's fine. No need to make quantity adjustments. It's going to be black either way.

Instead of amber extract, can you just use all light extract and increase the amount of crystal malt? Yes.

Are maltodextrin and lactose interchangeable? No. If you want to try using it instead of lactose, go for it. Just realize you won't be brewing this beer.

I wish I could edit the OP, but I can't.

Cheers!

BeerSmith says I had about 36 IBU's and I don't think that it is too bitter, but I have more lactose in there to offset it.

Well I tested the gavity last nite. 1.026 Im pretty happy with that. I accidently added an extra 1/4 of lb of lactose. I only added .5oz of hops so it would stay around the correct IBUs. I tasted a sample and it great. Lookin forward to bottling on sunday. Thanks to everyone that helped me out with any questions i had. Ill let you know how much better it is after i condition in the bottle. I will b saving a bunch to try a few months down the road. That is if I have the will power.

Back