Newbie to cider making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cacaca86

Reaction score
Hi,
I just have a few questions about home brewing. I just started my first batch its a 1 gallon of juiced apples. 3/4 macintosh 1/4 granny smith. I Did everything by the recipe recommendations without cutting corners... My cider has been fermenting 9 days and isn't clearing up....instead of racking at 2 weeks can i let it go longer? If i do what will this do to the taste? Im hoping to do a sweet carbonated cider. Also i was thinking of splitting the batch, racking half of it at the 2 wk mark and possibly adding briwn sugar and raisins to the second half? Opinions?recommendations?
I appreciate any suggestions...etc.

I've found that allowing the cider to ferment longer can clear up both its appearance and flavor, however, it's important that you control your fermentation temperatures or you may end up losing much of the apple flavors you probably want to keep.

I'd check the optimal temperatures for your yeast and then use either a water bath or cooler to keep it at the low end of that range if you plan on fermenting for a sizable amount of time.

If you're not using a clearing agent like chitosan and kielesol, it is going to take way longer than 9 days to completely clear. You're looking at 60 days minimum.

I figured it would be longer than 9 days obviously, i was just curious about time frame. Right now i have the carboy wrapped in a few t shirts in the dark. I bought a sticker thermometer to document the temp daily... Keeping it above 60f as the packet req. i guess im confused because a lot of recipes i find only have the cider ferment 2 wks before bottling...it just doesnt seem like enough time. I want to wait 1 month before rebottling, but thought about adding raisins and maple syrup. Is this an option?

You can add anything you like at any time. Adding more fruit and sugar is just going to restart your fermentation. Clearing will only happen once the yeast has eaten through all its food ay which point it settles out.

You can speed this process up by placing a finished fermentation in a cold area (50 degrees or less), adding clearing agents, or simply wait it out.

Back