Chocolate Rasberry Stout Recipe?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elweydoloco

Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm thinking of brewing an AG (BIAB) Chocolate Rasberry stout. Below is my grain bill after looking at a few recipes online. Any input is more than welcomed and I would greatly appreciate it.

11lbs 2 row
2 lbs 6 row
1lb Flaked Wheat
1lb Chocolate Malt
1 lb Crystal 40
1/2 lb roasted barley
2 oz Fuggles
4 oz rasberry fruit flavoring
10 oz unsweetened baking cocoa
Safale S-04 yeast

Mash in at 150 for 45 minutes (let me know if you think temp is too high or mash should be raised to 60 minutes) I'm thinking of dropping to 145 don't want to go too high on this one my gut is telling me.

Mash out I'll steep the grains in 170 degree sparge for 10 minutes or so then add to wort mixture.

Full boil 60 minutes

1 oz fuggles at beginning .5 oz for 40 minutes total last .5 oz for 15 minutes.

I'm shooting for OG of about 1.06ish maybe a little less I could boost the 6 row perhaps and take away some 2 row for a little more enzyme action.

Up for debate...

Should I buy rasberries puree them after I blanch them to kill the off yeasts to avoid infection bake in the oven with the chocolate and add all to secondary? If so, how much should I use rasberry wise?

Should I skip the previous idea entirely and add hersheys syrup to the secondary which will restart fermentation obviously and skip the cocoa powder and add the 4 oz rasberry extract?

Thanks guys any suggestions would be appreciated.

Right off the top, I don't like the idea of using Hershey's syrup at all. I'd rather see you get some baker's chocolate. I think the best way to handle that is to melt it in a double boiler.

I used to make a chocolate raspberry stout when I was working in a brewpub in NJ, and it was like drinking a truffle. I used raspberry extract in the boil.

You probably want to mash at a higher temp. Stouts body come from some of the undetectable sugars that are extracted at higher temps.

I am making a stout right now and I'm mashing at 156*. I have made this recipe before and wouldn't mash any lower.

I'll shoot for 156 and see what happens.

So extract in the boil? How long before boil end? 15 minutes? As far as the bakers chocolate, I assume the same time? Double boiler is not a problem as I actually make truffles as well.

I'll shoot for 156 and see what happens.

So extract in the boil? How long before boil end? 15 minutes? As far as the bakers chocolate, I assume the same time? Double boiler is not a problem as I actually make truffles as well.

I usually put the raspberry extract at the end of the boil, just to sanitize it. Any longer, and I think you risk reducing the aroma. I usually put the chocolate in fairly early, but I didn't have a double boiler, so I never really got it to incorporate into the beer.

Mmmm...chocolate/raspberry stout. This thread is of interest to me as I'm about to brew a Cream Stout as well as a Russian Imperial. I'm going to split both batches and have some fun. Half of the RIS is scheduled for a fresh raspberry infusion. I will take 6 lbs and mash them up and add them to secondary. Half of the Cresm Stout is scheduled for a real chocolate infusion. I plan to use a double boiler to melt some baking chocolate and cut it with some water to make it more manageable. I've never done this so I'm not sure how much to use in about 3 gallons.

[email protected]

I am about ready to bottle a Black Forest Stout as found in Brewing Classic Styles.

I racked on 6lbs of Cherry Puree in the secondary and added 10oz of low fat cocoa powder the last 10min of the boil.

Taste test have been really good, the chocolate and cherry are subtle and very smooth.

FWIW; Base grains were mashed at 152* 60min, Specialty Grains cold (room temp) steeped for 14hrs, mash out was 167* for 10min. This was also a BIAB.

Good Luck

I've done something very similar...mine was an experiment

I racked canned raspberries to the secondary for a week then racked again coco powder and a vanilla bean that soaked in vodka ...

Turned out pretty good...didn't taste anything like a stout though ......can't explain...very refreshing .....raspberries overpowered the chocolate flavor the chocolate was very faint...if I would do again probably do the chocolate first then the raspberries

Also this taste awesome at room temp or lower. Not sure why just does

Schumed said:
I've done something very similar...mine was an experiment

I racked canned raspberries to the secondary for a week then racked again coco powder and a vanilla bean that soaked in vodka ...

Turned out pretty good...didn't taste anything like a stout though ......can't explain...very refreshing .....raspberries overpowered the chocolate flavor the chocolate was very faint...if I would do again probably do the chocolate first then the raspberries

Also this taste awesome at room temp or lower. Not sure why juste does

Warmer temperatures bring out the true flavor of a beer. Stouts and porters are meant to be drunk (heh) at around 45-50 degrees. I am watching my black hole sun, a chocolate cherry stout, awaiting the secondary so I can add my sweet cherry purée and the chocolate. May add some to add mouthfeel and sweetness... Am experimenting with this one!

Sorry all been way too long since I've been on here. The beer turned out amazing and everything was pretty much spot on! I added the raspberry from extract a tablespoon at a time until I got to the taste I wanted then added one more. It dies off a little in the fermentor in my opinion. It ended up being right at 8.5% ABV and was DELICIOUS!!!

Back