Krausen came back?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Toy4Rick

Reaction score
Hey gang,

My Hef has been in primary for 2 weeks now between 62 and 68 to the best of my abilities being it was in water, with wet towel, fan and occasionally an ice block due to pretty high temps here in San Diego. Last Sunday the SG was 1.014, yesterday the krausen was gone and the SG was 1.011 so I planned to bottle today so temp was less of a concern for me. Today the SG is still 1.011 but some krausen appears to be back.

Does this mean that fermentation started up again with the rising temp from yesterday?

I don't want to bottle if it's not done.

I racked it to my bottling bucket, no priming sugar yet and could very easily put it back into the fermentor if need be.

Thoughts?
Toy4Rick

I'd bet it's pretty well done, 1.011 is pretty low for any beer depending on where you started at. Wheat beers can sometimes have near forever krausens, I once waited 6 weeks for one to drop and then gave up. Still came out ok in the end, just maybee put a bit less priming sugar than you planned for.

Edit: not to give unsafe advise, the standard and sane answer is to swirl, set for a couple days and check readings for 3 consecutive days, if there's no change it's good. Also wouldn't bother moving it back so long as your bucket was sanitary you should be good. Still stand on the krausen bit though, wheat is unpredictable like that.

It's a hefe. The yeast is not supposed to floc out. That beer is meant to be drank good a young. I usually drink mine in 3-4 weeks from brewday to tap.

If the brew warmed up, what you're seeing could be as simple as the brew releasing some of the CO2 that it held at the cooler temperature...

Cheers!

Back