Anybody ever primed with invert sugar?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kanzimonson

Reaction score
I'm a baker, and we have 55 gallon drums of invert sugar at all times. I've been wondering about the viability of using it for priming. Not that buying dextrose is that expensive, but it certainly is annoying picking it up every few batches.

The type of invert we have is Nulomoline, which is about 73 brix. Here's my formula for figuring out how much to use:

X = .73Y
where X represents the weight of dextrose I would normally use for the batch,
and Y represents the weight of invert required for priming

I would add the invert to water to make up about 12 fl oz, bring to boil, and then rack, stir, and bottle, etc.

I sure it will "work" but I was hoping somebody would have some prior experience or any other tips.

Quoted from Wiki"All constituent sugars (sucrose, glucose and fructose) support fermentation, so invert sugar solutions may be fermented as readily as sucrose solutions"There is a citric acid used in the making of this sugar, and if used with the right formula, it should work without any ill effects!

+1, I have read claims that table sugar is fine for priming as well, in that the quantity is so small as to not affect flavor. The invert sugar should be easily fermentable.

If it attracts fruit flies it can be used to prime beer! Seriously though, any sugar will work. Invert won't contribute any other flavours either.

If it attracts fruit flies it can be used to prime beer! Seriously though, any sugar will work. Invert won't contribute any other flavours either.

I hate you for saying that but it is true...:D

*swipes another fruitfly out of his way*

Actually some folks argue that by the mere act of boiling sugar water inverts it....though others say you have to add some sort of acid to do it....Dunno...but you'll be fine using it.

Latest posts

Back