splitting batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fat_Maul

Reaction score
I have the "robust porter" brewer's best kit in the fermenter and wanted to try adding bourbon and vanilla. My friend suggested splitting the batch and only flavoring the other part. Do I need a small carboy to do this or is it ok to rack 2-2.5 gallons into another 5-6.5gal fermenter to make the additions?

If you are using it as a second primary you should be fine, the c02 from ferment will fill the extra space, if it going into a secondary you want to be careful in your racking and time it sits as it will allow head room for oxygen to hang out and slowly creep on yer brew.

Another thought..often the whiskey is added at bottling..you can soak your vanilla beans in the whisky beforehand and just add it to half the batch when you bottle.

Good luck

^What he said
I've split a batch and fermented 2 gallons in a 5 gallon bucket with no problems. As long as it's a primary and not secondary fermenter

If you are using it as a second primary you should be fine, the c02 from ferment will fill the extra space, if it going into a secondary you want to be careful in your racking and time it sits as it will allow head room for oxygen to hang out and slowly creep on yer brew.

Another thought..often the whiskey is added at bottling..you can soak your vanilla beans in the whisky beforehand and just add it to half the batch when you bottle.

Good luck

So are you saying to soak the beans in bourbon then add the infused bourbon to the bottling bucket and discard the beans?

Yep ,that is just what I meant. Should get you the same basic effect as adding to the secondary for the same amount of time.

Thanks. I know that you're not supposed to disrupt the wort going into the bottling bucket but should I carefully stir it after pouring in the bourbon?

Just rack half of the beer into the bucket with half of your prepared priming solution and then bottle it. Then add your vanilla infused bourbon along with the rest of your priming solution to the now empty bucket and rack the rest of the beer and bottle.

Back