yeast starter vs two bags of yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dougbot

Reaction score
Im going into my second batch and it calls for a yeast starter, my question is could i just use two smack packs instead of having to make a starter or would that make fermentation go crazy?

im gonna try the black ipa from northernbrewers, it calls for Wyeast 1272 American Ale yeast II and its saying the OG should be 1.075

You would need 250 billion cells, so technically 2-3 packets. But to your actual question - yes. If you don't want to make a starter, buy more yeast. Thats what I do when I buy things too last minute and don't have an extra day for a starter.

You are only looking at one aspect of what a yeast starter is all about. The first reason for a starter is to confirm viability, you only have to read this forum during summer how many people have cooked smack packs.

The second reason for a starter is to improve yeast health, yeast consume their energy reserves while dormant so when they come out of your smack pack they need to build their energy reserves. A thick wort is not the best yeast food, the high levels of sugar in the wort increases the pressure on those weak cell walls.

The third reason is to boost numbers well you say pitch more packs the problem with this is you don't know how many viable cells you had without the starter, is the pack old was it handled well between producer and you...

So, long and the short is do the starter you will have better beer and a quicker cleaner fermentation.

Clem

I have pitched 2 smack-packs instead of making starters in my last 3 batches and they have all turned out excellent! These were </=1.065.
The benefit of a Wyeast is that you can see the viability by its swelling.

I started doing this because I got tired of waiting an extra day to brew. Now, if my schedule gives me a day to brew, I do it then and there - no waiting.

Hunter

Back