HLT cleaning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krenshaw

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
i'm getting more efficient with my brew rig the more and more i brew with it, last time as my beer was in the BK i started to clean the HLT and mash tun.. my question is how good do you have to "clean" the HLT? is it worth soaking in oxy even though it has only ever held water? or should i just rinse it out before i use it next time and just use the oxy for my MLT?

i'm getting more efficient with my brew rig the more and more i brew with it, last time as my beer was in the BK i started to clean the HLT and mash tun.. my question is how good do you have to "clean" the HLT? is it worth soaking in oxy even though it has only ever held water? or should i just rinse it out before i use it next time and just use the oxy for my MLT?

I clean all of my items (HLT, BK and MLT) with hot water only. Since they are pre-boil, I'm not terribly worried about them passing anything on to the final product.

I just dry out the hlt. The brewery where I work keeps the hlt full of water all the time, never cleaned and we brew but every month or two.

I never clean the HLT. Sit it upside down for an hour to get the water out. Flip, sit back on the rig and put the lid on. Done. It's only had water in it and the water is going to be boiled evenutally so......

I do a hot oxy, rinse, and starsan in my BK, but that's only because it is the vessel I use to hold those solutions while I am pumping them through my chiller.

I rinse with water and scrub any stuck thing off with a soft sponge. No soap or cleaner ever. I dry upside down on paper towels.

Spiders and bugs stay as they add protein and flavorings not otherwise available. :mug:

Depends on your water. When you drain your HLT, run your finger along the inside surfaces of your HLT, do you get a white mineral powder? If so you really want to eliminate that or you are just throwing the balance of your water off. Otherwise the drain or drying method works for me.

good to know.. i guess i didn't hurt anything from cleaning it, just took extra effort and time..

so how about your MLTs? when i clean out my hoses at the end i usually pump through that and just knock off any of the stuck grains to get that fairly clean, since that'll attract flies (though i do keep it in my basement so its pretty safe)

so your question is essentially-
'if i have a container full of water, do i need to clean it with water after im done?'
the answer is yes. you clean it the next time you use it- by filling it with more water.

i always flush the gas tank of my car out with gasoline before i fill it up, too.

Back