bottling beer questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewguy82

Reaction score
So I have a couple questions I have been brewing 2.5 gallon batches of beer since this suites me well. When I bottle my beer I use muntons carb tabs. Trying to figure out how much sugar or dme I could add to the bottling bucket for 2.5 gallons for medium carbonation (opposed to the tabs)?

Second question. Instead of bottle conditioning is there a way to force carbonate beer bottles @ home?

Brewguy,

I use 2/3 of a cup of corn sugar for a full 5 gallon batch. Thus, I would go with 1/3 cup.

I don't have an answer for your second question, but I'm sure other brewers will know.

NRS

Second question. Instead of bottle conditioning is there a way to force carbonate beer bottles @ home?

There is no way to force carbonate a bottle anywhere, force carbonated beer is carbonated before it goes in the bottle. This is either done in a tank, or inline to the filler. You can do the former at home with soda kegs.

There is no way to force carbonate a bottle anywhere

Not exactly true. There isn't a way to force carb glass bottles like most of us use, but you can use this to carb 2L plastic bottles. I have never used one and I'll bet it wouldn't be worth the trouble to do a whole batch this way, but it is possible.

Back