Broke my hop vine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Poobah58

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My Mt. Hood is growing like a mofo. One bine got above my trellis and I tried to tie it down along the top horizontal rod. Well, it broke. I'm thinking it won't grow anymore. My question is will it produce hops or should I cut it down now!

once the tip is gon it loses "Apical Dominance" and goes into leafout phase and sidearm production. It'll still produce hops. Question is, how much is left?

Where did it break? I mean if it broke off at the base then it probably won't produce much this year but if you just broke the tip then everything between the base and the break will be fine.

My experience has been that the growth goes into the other bines and the broken one doesn't do much. Other people have had different results. Can't think of any reason to cut it though.

it may/may not grow cones, but it WILL collect sunlight and help the rhizomes get ready for winter later on... I'd leave it.

Hey, so here's a twist on this question. Let's say my hop bine is 14' tall, I live in a single story house, I can't build a trellis taller than 15'. Why would I not want to cut the top and stop it from growing. It seems like a nice cut when your at the limit your home's space would allow is the easiest way to avoid issues like rolling out more line or having hops reach for the sky.

Am I missing something?

Latest posts

Back