Is Party Pig worth it???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jffrybauer

Reaction score
I'm interested in getting on of these suckers. I see it as a good step between bottling and kegging (which I currently don't have the resources for).

Just wondering what others experiences have been and if it's worth the $50 or so investment.

If I do a 5 gallon extract or partial, can I bottle half in the pig and still bottle the rest 12 or 22 oz? And if so, how should I prime?

there's a guy selling one for $30 on NY craigslist.

I looked into both the pig, and the 5L kegs. For the cost of the setup, I could just buy more cornys and keg it up right.

with the BMBF (do a search here!) I can keg the beer as normal and fill other bottles as needed!

that all said, to answer your orig. Q:

I'd fill the pig and do the poke-the-pack. Then rack the rest of the wort to the bottling bucket with less sugar than a full batch. try 1/2 a cup boiled in 2 cups water.

B

The Fine Folks at the Dillon Dam Brewery....sells their beer in Party Pigs...for like....$30! Then you get the beer and the Pig...and all you need is a pump and some bags and you're in Business!
I WILL get one next time I'm there.

Yes you can bottle half and pig half. It is what I usually do.
The pig when then work are pretty nice. They fit in most fridges, are fairly easy to use and you can pour just what you want. However I have had several pouches that just do not inflate properly. When that happens it is very frustrating as the beer flows very slowly and starts to go flat. It still will not spoil but it doesn't taste as good flat. The pouches are also a little expensive and you need a new one for every batch.
I think getting corny kegs is the best way to go and I hope to do this soon. Until then just continue bottling and save up. A bench capper and the Bottle Vinator are a good investments to help make the bottling process easier.

Craig

The Fine Folks at the Dillon Dam Brewery....sells their beer in Party Pigs...for like....$30! Then you get the beer and the Pig...and all you need is a pump and some bags and you're in Business!
I WILL get one next time I'm there.

Rock Yard over in Castle Rock does the same thing. I was tempted to pick one up last time i was there.

Back