What's going wrong?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Estrada

Reaction score
So I've brewed two batches in a row now that have both turned out to have a soapy, astringent type of aftertaste. The taste in the first batch was far more pronounced in the second batch. After the first I thought I might have accidentally left some residual cleaner in something (even though everything was sanitized after the cleaning), so I did a heavy clean, and even heavier rinse.

The first brew tasted a bit off right after tossing into the carboy (before pitching). The second tasted great after transferring to the carboy (before pitching). The first batch was bottled and is still quite rough. The second just finished fermentation (took a sample and gave it a taste test there).

This is my 9th brew and all have come out pretty well, with the exception of the last two.

Batch 1
Simcoe Hops & Pale Malt extract (SMASH w/Extract), dry yeast

Batch 2
Carapils, 2-Row, Crystal grains and Pale Malt Extract, Warrior and Chinook hops, Wyeast Ale

2 things really changed from my prior batches to these batches. I used a big mouth bubbler with a spigot for these, as opposed to my glass carboy (perhaps some of the oxiclean is getting caught in the BMB). 2nd, I moved. Granted, a block away, so I can't imagine the water is all that different. Stove temperatures aren't getting quite as hot, but I'm still boiling.

The oxiclean is the versatile (doesn't say free, yellow top). Using star-san as a sanitizer.

Appreciate any help. Thanks!

If you have been using the same process every time before these two it could be coming from your big mouth. There could be some places that you cant rinse out properly and your getting your soapy taste. I would try an experiment and get a small amount of PBW. about 4-8 oz and use about 1 gallon to 1 or 1.5 oz ratio. Heat up your water to 150ish and use the ratio I gave and let it soak. I think 2.5 gallons of water and 4 oz of pbw should be enough. Just flip it upside down after it soaks the first half. Then drain and rinse. If the taste stay the same on your next batch then its something else.

I use just pbw it might be a bit pricey but I don't want to take any chances.

The astringency could be coming from the hops I would just work on the soapy problem first.

Well, when you say "Oxi-Clean" versatile you are referring to the powder mix that you dilute in water right??
Even though its Bleach free, I only use Oxi-Clean in my steam cleaner for carpets, rugs other fabric messes. That stuff most defiantly smells, tastes and feels like soap. I have brewed over 40 batches (loosing two to stupidity) and have only ever used PBW and Star San with some hot water. No soap taste at all.

I hope this helps because all I taste is a soapy beer in my mouth....
Beerst of luck mate-

Are you using municipal water without treating it? Levels of chlorine or chloramines can vary in municipal water. Untreated water and different hops and hop amounts can produce off flavors.

Is it possible that your last house had a water filter in the basement? I would suspect chlorine for astringency. I would also switch to Oxiclean Free. Versatile might have perfumes.

Back