Whole Leaf Hopping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monghetti

Reaction score
Will dry hopping still work OK if I just drop my whole leaves into the carboy?

I've read about the hop bag/marbles technique, but I don't have any. If the leaf hops float, will the flavor/aroma still permeate?

Yes it will work just fine. They will start out floating but as they absorb water will start to sink a bit. I pretty much use whole hops exclusively and never have issues dry hopping this way.

Yes it will work just fine. They will start out floating but as they absorb water will start to sink a bit. I pretty much use whole hops exclusively and never have issues dry hopping this way.

Agreed. I like whole hops or plugs over pellets any time when I dry hop. Simply because I can easily keep them out of the bottling bucket at bottling... and thus out of my glass.

I replied elsewhere but I'll repeat myself :)

I usually dry hop with loose whole leaf and find that it never fails that a few bits of leaf make it into the bottling bucket. You can filter while rack through some pantyhose but I like throwing a piece of sanitized window screen over the spigot inlet.

Back