First All Grain: 2.5 Gallon Batch...Maybe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mlakota

Reaction score
Recently got equipment for all grain; cooler mlt, turkey fryer, ect.:ban:

Originally bought hops for an 2.5 gallon extract IPA, but want to use my new toys. I don't have any grains yet. Only problem is my cooler is 70 qts which is much too big (right?)

The options I've figured out to solve this are as follows: 1. Do a no sparge to reduce some head space in the cooler 2. BIAB or 3. Just do as extract.

What do you guys think, how do I solve this? Also, recipe advice please.

Extract Recipe (2.5 gallons)

4 lbs Light DME
4 oz Munich
4 oz Crystal 40

All Grain (2.5 gallons)

6.5 lbs 2 Row
8 oz Munich
8 oz Crystal 40

Hops ALL FALCONERS FLIGHT 7Cs

.5 oz @60
.25 oz @20
.25 oz @15
.25 oz @10
.25 oz @5
1.5 oz Dry Hop 7 Days

70 qt is pretty big for a 2.5 gal batch... but nothing to worry too much about. Have fun!

If you preheated the tun then tipped it up so that the grains and water sat in a corner for more depth it should work.

For the small batch BIAB would probably be easier though.

Run to Lowe's or Home Depot and buy the 5 gallon paint strainer bags and do a BIAB. Get a finer crush on your grains.

You will have a fun time and be done before you know it. BIAB smaller batches is simple, easy and fun. A lot less clean up.

I do three gallon all grain all the time. I use a 7.5 gallon cooler for my MLT. I did the BIAB as well. I myself prefer the my MLT to BIAB. Made good beer with both. Just a preference. Either way you will have a great time doing the all grain thing.

Back