Starch test?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeepsn beer

Reaction score
Whats the best way to test for starch conversion? I was told to use a little Iodophor and a small amount of wort and whatch for a color change. If the wort turns black then there was no starch conversion. Is this the best way to check? I ran my mash temp as close to the lower end of the conversion temp as I could 150f but now am worried about a lack of conversion. By the way I tried the Iodophor test and there was no change to black. It's been 18 hours since I pitched the 2206 smack pack with no activity yet. Am I just being impatient?

Head to your local pharmacy and pick up a bottle of tincture of iodine. I have never tried iodophor for the test.

I have had a 36 hour lag time when I pitched without a starter, so patience is called for in this instance. Build a starter next time. My Hefe last Sunday kicked off in 3 hours after with a nice starter.

yep, just being impatient.

hang in there, it'll go off.

much better to make a starter or use a slurry or go to your local microbrewery and get a quart of yeast....but that's for next time. from a smack pack it can take a couple of days. remember to aerate, it's ok to do it again about 14-18 hours after pitching.

My starter from last weeks Oktoberfest took off nice. I Just happened to have a change of schedule yesterday and decided to brew. The 2206 smack pack was only activated about 4 hours prior is all. Should I pitch another 2206 or just go with a single. I've been told that a Lager can't hardly be over pitched. opinions?

Jeepsn beer said:
My starter from last weeks Oktoberfest took off nice. I Just happened to have a change of schedule yesterday and decided to brew. The 2206 smack pack was only activated about 4 hours prior is all. Should I pitch another 2206 or just go with a single. I've been told that a Lager can't hardly be over pitched. opinions?

You would be hard pressed to overpitch a lager. Even with two smackpacks you're still under the optimum pitch rate. Pitch the second one, and make a big starter for the next lager.

The Bavarian Lager took off after the second pitch and is bubbling beautifully in it's 50 degree home. Thanks all.:ban:

I use a drop of iodaphor in a teaspoon of wort on a white plate. It will turn black if conversion is not complete. But will remain the same color if completed.

The test for starch only requires iodine in solution so the drug store product is fine or a solution of iodophor. The reaction of iodine with starch is said to turn dark blue to black. As someone mentioned, place a drop or two of your mash liquid on a white plate and add a drop or two of iodine. DON'T USE A PAPER PLATE AS PAPER PLATES HAVE SOME STARCH IN THEM. It is good to do this test at the beginning of the mash, when you see a positive reaction of the starch and iodine, and then a few times through out the mash so you can see the change in color as the starch is digested by the enzymes. The iodine has a reddish tint so a reddish color indicates the starch has been converted to sugars.

Dr Malt

Back