American Pale Ale New England Extra Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fimpster

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
GY054
Yeast Starter
1 L
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
4 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
4 days @ 67°
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 days @ 71°
Tasting Notes
A nice refreshing summertime (or anytime!) pale ale.
New England Extra Pale Ale

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.50 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.00 gal
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 4.0 SRM
Estimated IBU: 40.9 IBUs
Mash Efficiency: 75 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------

8.5 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (Rahr) (1.8 SRM) 77.3 %
1 lbs Munich (Avangard) (6.0 SRM) 9.1 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM) 4.5 %
8.0 oz Carapils (Briess) (1.5 SRM) 4.5 %
8.0 oz Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) 4.5 %

15.00 g Mosaic - Boil 60 min 19.0 IBUs
10.00 g Mosaic - Boil 20 min 7.7 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe - Boil 20 min 8.8 IBUs
10.00 g Mosaic - Boil 5 min 2.5 IBUs
10.00 g Simcoe - Boil 5 min 2.9 IBUs
15.50 g Simcoe - Dry Hop 5 Days

0.5 tsp Yeast Nutrient - Boil 10 min
1.0 pkg Vermont IPA - GigaYeast #GY054

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 11 lbs
----------------------------
Name........Description......................Step Temperature.....Step Time
Mash In.....Add 22.75 qt of water........150.0 F...................60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 4.14gal of 168.0 F water

Notes:
I call this New England Extra Pale Ale because of the use of GY054 (Conan) yeast, and the fact that it is just under style guidelines for APA at ~4 SRM. It is a great summertime beer, this keg of it has only been tapped for around 2 weeks and it will likely float this week. My wife, my friends, me, we all love it!

For this batch my OG was 1.051, FG 1.010 and ABV ~5.3%

Next time I brew, I will up the dry hops to a full oz. (28.3 g). I hadn't even included them in the recipe originally, but I had 15.5 g (0.55 oz.) leaf hops left over from another recipe and decided to throw them in into the primary. I am glad I did, as the aroma on this one is excellent. The boil hops were all pellet.

GY054 Vermont IPA (Conan) does best if you can raise the temp a few degrees as primary fermentation starts to slow. I pitched the yeast and started it at 67°. After 4 days I let it rise to 71° for another 4 days at which point FG had been reached. I removed it from the fermentation chamber (just because I needed it) and let it rest another 10 days in my basement with ambient temps of 67-68°. Kegged and carbed to 2.5 vols under serving pressure for around 10 days before tapping.

The picture was one of the earlier pours from the keg and it has cleared up some in the past week or so, but is still hazy due to dry hopping in primary and not cold crashing before kegging (the chamber was in use).

Cheers!

New England Extra Pale Ale.jpg

I tried to get a better picture with better lighting to show the color and clarity. Not sure if it shows up any better.

new england extra pale.jpg

I think Mosaic and Simcoe pair very well together. I've made a couple of versions of this recipe while dialing it in, but all have been Mosaic and Simcoe.

The malt flavor is very mild. It's definitely more hop forward, but it's certainly not an IPA. Its slightly fruity, helped along by the Conan, citrusy, especially grapefruit, with a hint of pine, crisp and very refreshing. To me it is a summery hop profile. The addition of dry hops on this batch really made it stand out.

I mash low to keep it on the drier end. I might try mashing at 148° one of these times, but honestly I am so pleased with the results that I think I will continue to brew as is and focus on consistency and repeatability (sp?).

Back