Blending beer question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AgentHubcap

Reaction score
I've got two beers that are ho-hum on their own, but as a blend it is fantastic!

My question is: Can I combine the two recipes and make a 10 gallon batch and have it turn out like a blend, or does it not work like that?

Blend before bottling. If one yeast is higher attenuating than the other, it will start working again after they have been blended.

Yes, if the beers are finished, combining the beers should be stable and give you what you are looking for.

Reading comprehension gents. His question was since he likes this blend so much, can he combine the recipes and make one beer that will taste like the blend?

Answer; Try it and see. Almost certainly it won't taste just like the blend since the way the ingredients blend during fermentation is a lot different than brewing them separately then blending post fermentation and conditioning.

I did use the same yeast for both recipes if that makes a difference.

I guess I'll try it and see.

I did this some time back.I wanted to brew a "Black and Tan,like Yuengling's,so I brewed a 2.5 gal. batch of regular ale and a 2.5gal. batch of regular dark ale.I ran 2 separate hoses from the fermenters into the bottling bucket and bottle it a single brew.Turned out right nice.If both your styles are about the same I don't see why you could'nt blend them,as long as you use a comperable yeast,I guess. I've heard of homebrewers blending 2 kits that were close and brewing 10 gallon batches,splitting them into (2) 5gal. fermenters,and it worked out.

Reading comprehension gents. His question was since he likes this blend so much, can he combine the recipes and make one beer that will taste like the blend?

Answer; Try it and see. Almost certainly it won't taste just like the blend since the way the ingredients blend during fermentation is a lot different than brewing them separately then blending post fermentation and conditioning.

And being a smarta$$ helps alot

Especially since you used the same yeast in both, it should end up pretty much identical.

Latest posts

Back