To sample or not to sample, this is my question!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgm1986

Reaction score
Hey folks,

First time brewer here and just very engrossed in the whole process. They should warn you before you start that this hobby is most addictive!

Here is my scoop. First brew was done this past Friday, 2/3. Within 15 hours of moving to the primary (a plastic ale pail from a brewers best kit) the magic started and the airlock began to dance. This went on like this until Tuesday morning, 2/7, at which time I noticed no more bubbles from the airlock. According to the forum that doesn't really mean anything so I am not panicked.

I guess my question is this. If everything is working as expected and in 3 weeks I uncap the primary and get my correct FG then all is well. But if in 3 weeks I pop the cap and something is wrong, is it too late to salvage?

I don't want to open the primary unnecessarily and at the same time I don't want to let my brew sit, stalled in the fermentation process.

So my question to the experts. Is it better to let the primary finish 3 weeks untouched before taking a gravity reading? Or would it be better after a week to uncap and check the progress of the fermentation?

On a side note, the air coming out of the airlock smells really good, even now!

I used this ingredient kit:

http://www.brewersbestkits.com/pdf/1016%20English%20Brown%20Ale.pdf

Any advice is greatly appreciated! :mug:

Latest posts

Back