Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kkocher13

Reaction score
I made yeast starter last night and it was only a 1 quart starter. I used 1 cup Extra light DME to 1 quart water. Only this morning did I realize that it might not be big enough. I used WLP 001 California Ale yeast. Reading on White labs website the vial should have between 75-150 billion yeast cells. After making my one quart starter that should bump me to somewhere between 150-225 Billion yeast cells. I'm making a Barley wine that should have an OG of around 1.12. Based on John Palmers book I should need about 400 billion yeast cells, which I'm going to be well short of. I was going to brew either Saturday or Sunday and don't know If I will have enough time to get my cell count up. Can I just make more wort with the Extra light DME and dump it in the starter to bump up the cell count? Or will my starter I made be plenty. This is my first starter so any advice would be appreciated. :confused:

I would add more wort to it to bump it up to at least 2L. If you don't add it, you're just going to have a longer lag time before fermentation starts, but it should still get the job done in the end. It's pushing it though.

Just shaking every so often. I haven't gone with the stirplate yet, although they look really cool and I would probably put other metal objects on there just for fun. Would it be as simple as decant, put on two more liters of wort and shake it up. Then just let it go until saturday?

Back