syphon tube question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CROM

Reaction score
so I buy an auto syphon from one of the local brew your own shops, and I tell them, Im going to need a hose too... she sells me a hose that fits loose on the auto syphon, ... not thinking I take it home, wait till i have to bottle, then realize, wait a sec... this isnt going to work... air is getting in...

she knew that it did too! she said it wouldnt be a big deal...

was she right? is there some way you shrink the tube's end to make it snug? or did she sell me 5 ft of tube that I cant even use with this syphon?

i was thinking about clamping it, I guess I gotta get one that fits on like a ring or something, cause a regular clamp wont do it...

needless to say I ended bottling the beer just using the tube...

I honestly don't think you'll get good suction with the oversized hose (hehe) Ideally the hose should be so tight you have to soak it in hot water to slide it onto the racking cane.

Be careful, a hose clamp will EASILY crack your siphon tube.

I had the same thing happen. You got sold 3/8" ID tubing, and your autosiphon cane is 3/8" OD. While one would think this would work, it's too loose. You need 5/16" ID tubing, which they will also have.

Lowes def has 5/16" ID tubing on a roll that you can buy by the foot. 3/8" tubing is the nominal size so it could fit loose or a little snug. It's hard to find worm drive hose clamps that are small enough to clamp on. It's not worth the effort.

If you need to do this ASAP then just take a little black tape and tape the hose and the cane where they meet. This way is seals the opening, when you need to remove it for the new tubing just use a razor and slice the black tape.

Back