Comments on Belgian Dubbel Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gruntingfrog

Reaction score
I'm planning on making a Belgian Dubbel this weekend and wanted to get some comments on my extract with steeped grain recipe.

Code:
---------------------

Batch Size (Gal):         5.00    Wort Size (Gal):    2.50
Total Grain (Lbs):       12.50
Anticipated OG:          1.083    Plato:             20.01
Anticipated SRM:          13.9
Anticipated IBU:          24.8
Brewhouse Efficiency:       75 %
Wort Boil Time:             60    Minutes

Grain/Extract/Sugar

%     Amount     Name                          Origin        Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
 64.0     8.00 lbs. Generic LME - Light           Generic        1.035      7
 28.0     3.50 lbs. CaraVienne Malt               Belgium        1.034     22
  8.0     1.00 lbs. Candi Sugar (clear)           Generic        1.046      1

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount     Name                              Form    Alpha  IBU  Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
  1.00 oz.    Cascade                           Pellet   5.75  17.9  60 min.
  0.75 oz.    Cascade                           Pellet   5.75   6.9  30 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP500 Trappist Ale

You realize that Cascade hops are not usually part of the Dubbell style. Generally it seems as though I see a lot of Saaz and Hallertauer for hops.

Blender said:
You realize that Cascade hops are not usually part of the Dubbell style. Generally it seems as though I see a lot of Saaz and Hallertauer for hops.

I was thinking about Hallertauer, but I happen to have about 2 oz. of Cascade sitting here and thought it may work. Do you really think it will affect the overall flavor profile? I don't mind spending the extra 2 bucks for Hallertauer if it will be noticeable.

They do taste pretty different but if you use Cascade I am sure it will be drinkable. It just that most of the recipes I have seen use the European hops. I made the B3 Dubbel kit a few months ago and man did that thing ferment. The temp was high at the time (76 degrees ) and it smelled way to much of banana for me.

I am about ready to bottle my dubbel. I used Hallertauer and Tettnanger hops. I tastes good from the fermenter, so I am hoping it will only get better with some carbonation and chilling. What yeast are you planning on using? I used the White Labs 575 Belgian Ale Blend - or something along those lines. Definitely some fruity smells coming out of the fermenter. I also threw in a little biscuit and special B for the partial mash. I think your color might be a little light for a dubbel.

troybinso said:
I think your color might be a little light for a dubbel.

According to the BJCP link that Blender posted, a Dubbel should be between 10 and 14 SRM. Mine should come in around 14 and whenever I use liquid extract it comes out a little darker than I intended, so it'll probably be a little darker than that.

Cascade will work, but any of the noble hops will provide a brew closer to the style you are making.

From my experience, and research regular old table sugar works just as well as that candi sugar stuff, and is a fraction of the price.:)

glibbidy said:
From my experience, and research regular old table sugar works just as well as that candi sugar stuff, and is a fraction of the price.:)

This is coming up more and more. There was an article in BYO that said the belgian brewers actually use syrups instead of the candi sugar and that you can make your own using table sugar for a fratcion of the cost. The results also reflect the authentic flavors better than candi sugar supposedly.

The LHBS in my area carries the syrup, and unfortunatley it is also somewhat costly. Benefits to the syrup would likely be that nice carmel color you see in dubbels.
I have also been reading how the some of the Trappist breweries are using hop extract in their brews as well.

I just bottled my Dubbel brewed with the dark candi sugar syrup. I only tasted a little in the bottom of the bottling bucket, but it has a nice caramel taste and a great color.

Now if it would only hurry up and carbonate!!

OK, I brewed the Dubbel on Saturday after taking some of your suggestions and modifying the recipe.

Hops...
I looked at my hops stash and found that I had 1.25 oz of Hallertauer. I used 1 oz. of Cascade for bittering (60 min), 1 oz. Hallertauer (30 min), and .25 oz. Hallertauer for aroma (15 min).

Grain...
I dropped the Caravienne to 2 lbs, and added .5 lbs Special B.

Candi Sugar...
I dropped to .5 lbs Candi Sugar and switched from clear to amber. My LHBS didn't have the syrup, and I didn't want to take the time to make it.

All in all, it should be around 7-8 % ABV and it's a very pretty brown.

Thanks for all the help. I'll let you know how it tastes in about 6 weeks.

Back