BYO Recipe calls for rice syrup, LHBS only sell rice syrup powder...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FormulaXFD

Reaction score
I decided to try my hand at my first goofy beer recipe, a knock off of DFH's Chateu Jiahu. (Recipe here: http://***********/stories/issue/ar...er-2007/450-dogfish-heads-chateau-jiahu-clone )

Now I have most of the ingredients on hand, or on order. The issue I have is the recipe is ambiguous on the powder or liquid. I'm going to assume it's expecting a liquid, in which case is there a water-to-powder ratio for reconstituting back into a liquid syrup? What would you guys do ( I have 2 lbs of powder just to CMA ) Searching, sadly, has not yielded any results (and google comes up with baby formula discussions).

Thanks all!

Baby formula zomg!

That's tough. You could always calculate it out the gravity of the rice syrup, but all the other goofy ingredients makes it hard. For what it's worth, my brewing software seems to think that rice extract syrup should have a value of about 32 points per pound. That sounds about right; you could just adjust the volume you use until it hits something on those lines.

You live in Portland...go to a Market of Choice or any fancy schmancy grocery store, go to the baking section and look for rice syrup...shouldn't be a problem to find it.

If you can really only find powder (or don't want to order the syrup online if you can't find it in a store) I would go with the LME/DME concentration ratio...DME being 20% more concentrated weight-wise than LME. Or you can calculate how many points the rice syrup is supposed to get you based on the recipe using software (beersmith has about 1.032 PPG) then mix up a gallon of water and enough rice extract powder until you hit that same gravity, then add it to the kettle.

Hope this helps.

Back