Help with leftover ingredients ipa

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JRems

Reaction score
Hi I was hoping for some help with a recipe. I wanted to make an ipa today with all my leftover ingredients from previous batches. Here is what I have
8 oz crystal 60
8 oz Belgian candy sugar
6 lbs muntons light DME
2 oz torrified wheat
2 oz warrior hops
2 oz Amarillo hops
2 oz simcoe hops

yeast safale us-05

here's what I was thinking, open to all suggestions
steep the 8 oz of crystal 60 malt with 1 or 2 oz torrified wheat
add it to the 6 lbs dme and candy sugar and add
1/2 oz warrior 60 min

1/4oz Amarillo 30 min
1/4oz simcoe
1/4oz warrior

1/4oz Amarillo 15 min
1/4oz simcoe
1/4oz warrior

1/4oz Amarillo 0 min
1/4oz simcoe
1/4oz warrior

1/4oz Amarillo dry hop in secondary.
1/4oz simcoe
1/4oz warrior

Not sure if all the ingedients are are appropriate but I think should be ok
I have never added candy sugar or torrified wheat to an ipa but why not! Just call it my leftovers ipa

What kind of candi sugar is it? If it's clear, then it'll be fine. If it's dark, the resultant flavors might clash.

Yes it's light ( clear) candy sugar

I just had extra torrified wheat and thought it would add head retention. I thought it could just be steeped At 150 to accomplish that?

Otherwise does it sound ok? Any hop changes?

You might want to loose the 30 min addition and do another late addition. Do you have any idea about how many ibus you are at? Also, you need a couple oz of two row to convert the wheat doing a partial mash.

I'm not sure you get much from the warrior outside bittering. also i'd bump up the dry hop a bit. if it were me, i'd do something like this:

1oz warrior - 60
1oz simcoe - 30
1oz amarillo - 0
1oz simcoe - DH
1oz amarillo - DH

also are you doing full or partial boil? if partial, i'd probably go 2oz warrior at 60 to get enough ibu

I'm not sure you get much from the warrior outside bittering. also i'd bump up the dry hop a bit. if it were me, i'd do something like this:

1oz warrior - 60
1oz simcoe - 30
1oz amarillo - 0
1oz simcoe - DH
1oz amarillo - DH

warrior is actually pretty good late in the boil, i'd add it at flameout

Back