Long Time Beer Drinker, First Time Brewer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheMagicHatter

Reaction score
Hey All,

My name is Scot and I hail from the city of Bethlehem, Pa. After frequenting a local brewery, Fegley's Brew Works, I decided I wanted try to create a brew of my own.

I know nothing about brewing and figured the best way to learn was to dive headfirst into it and then join a forum full of knowledgeable brewers!

Cheers!

Thanks McLompoc!

I just purchased a kit that includes the following:

The base kit includes the following:

6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Primary Fermenter with Drilled & Grommeted Lid
6.5 Gallon "Ale Pail" Bottling Bucket with Bottling Spigot
No-Rinse Cleanser
Airlock
Siphon & Bottling Set-up
Home Beermaking Book
Hydrometer
Bottle Brush
Twin Lever Capper
Liquid Crystal Thermometer
Bucket Clip

I'm thinking I'll end up getting a carboy being that other brews require one.

I'm going to start with a Lager along the lines of Yuengling and go from there.

Can't wait!

Very nice start. I suggest a 6.5 glassy carboy to go with your kit. BTW the way, my name is Scott too. albeit missing a t.:mug:

You don't necessarily need a carboy many home brewers only use buckets, I like the Better Bottle because it's lighter and won't break.

Read up on lagers. They take complicated fermenting temperature control. You will need a refrigerator with a temperature controller.

The one very important item I see missing is a thermometer to use for brewing. You will need one and when you get it check the calibration.

Welcome to the obsession.

Plastic is ok but I like the glass because it is much easier to see what is going on in the primary, and you can doctor your batch if needed.

Better Bottles are clear, you can see what is going on, you can doctor if needed and you don't have to worry about severed arteries.

And, I am getting old so I like the weight savings the most.

No idea how true this but I've heard all non-glass carboys "pit" over time and create small places for potential bacteria... anyone hear this before? Buckets too?

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a thermometer to help control the temps during the process. I also placed it down in my basement and found that the air temp is right around 64 degrees, which should be OK for the lager. I haven't decided if I'll go with a glass carboy yet or not but if I happen to find one for a decent price, I'll pull the trigger on it.

I'm also a Scott, you're the first Scot I've ever heard of. I once met a Bret.

I'm Scot, without the filler!

Thanks for the input everyone. I picked up a thermometer to help control the temps during the process. I also placed it down in my basement and found that the air temp is right around 64 degrees, which should be OK for the lager. I haven't decided if I'll go with a glass carboy yet or not but if I happen to find one for a decent price, I'll pull the trigger on it.

I'm Scot, without the filler!

During fermentation, that 64 degrees will yield around a 74 degree temp within the beer itself (fermentation process creates heat). That's far too high for a lager. Most lager's you're looking to get around the 50 degree mark.

I am a noob brewer in Glenside, PA. I've played a few gigs in Bethlehem (Wildflower, Your Welcome, Funhouse, Godfrey Daniels) and my wife and I are huge fans of Tulum.

Good luck with all things brew. Go Iron Pigs!

Back