Hop-flavored popcorn!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, I just got done brewing a little while ago, and had 7.5 ounces of hops in the brew. 4 ounces are late additions, homegrown cascades from 2009. They are great hops- very fragrant and awesome smelling.

Anyway, I DO wash my hands! But Bob just made some popcorn, so I'm having an IPA and eating some popcorn. At first, I thought a bitter hoppy taste I was getting was residually from the beer but I kept eating the popcorn. "Yum- this is GREAT popcorn", I say to Bob. Bob said, "yeah, it's ok". "No, Bob, this is the best popcorn I've ever had in my life".

Then I smell my hands- cascade flavor, aroma, and bitterness on both hands since I measured my hops on a small scale and had to keep adding, and then added them to the BK as whirlpool hops!

The popcorn is simply mediocre, but covered with essence du cascade. I think I should market this, get rich, retire again, and make more beer!

Hmmm....It wouldn't be too hard to infuse some melted butter with a couple of hopcones in the pan, then toss the popcorn in it in a big bowl. I don't know how many cones to infues the butter, but I'd only try one or two to begin with.

sounds delicious... i heard something on the BN's sunday session recently where sean paxton was talking about a 'hop salt' that he made... that could work nicely on popcorn.

I can't believe no one has chimed in and called it "hopcorn" yet.

Maybe not everyone has a six-year-old sense of humor like me?

Hmmm....It wouldn't be too hard to infuse some melted butter with a couple of hopcones in the pan, then toss the popcorn in it in a big bowl. I don't know how many cones to infues the butter, but I'd only try one or two to begin with.

Careful with that plan. If the hops get to warm, the alpha acids turn bitter and that may not be as good...says the guy that tried baking hops into bread and found it too bitter to eat. Grind it up and sprinkle it on after it has been popped and buttered.

I made hop ice cream once and even warm milk extracted so much bitter that the stuff was inedible. I remember washing my hands after picking hops last year and then eating and the bitter on my fingers was still very strong.

I wonder how to get the aroma without any bitter? I think even crushed and sprinkled, you'd get a ton of bitter from the hops.

Huh, I would have guessed this thread had something to do with diacetyl.

It's funny- but I don't like butter. Not in my beer, and not in popcorn!

It was plain dry popcorn. Come to think of it- maybe that's why it tasted so great this time. Dry popcorn usually tastes like paper. This time it tasted like cascade hops!

Trying to find it on BN website, but stumbled on this...From Sean Paxton

Shake & Bake Hop Fried Chicken

Shake and Bake Hopped Fried Chicken

Oh yea! The classic buttermilk fried chicken gone to the hopheads! By making a green buttermilk full of goodness, the chicken is also seasoned and begging for a beer, as both hops and malt are used in this recipe.

Makes: 1 chicken, 8 piece

Ingredients:

1 ea free range organic chicken, washed, dried
1 quart buttermilk
1 bunch fresh thyme , washed, dried and chopped
1 bunch Italian leaf parsley, washed, dried and chopped
6 ea cloves garlic, peeled
2 tablespoons kosher salt
1 tablespoon black pepper
4 tablespoons Amarillo hop powder*

2 cups all-purpose flour, unbleached
1 cup malt flour (favorite brewers malt ground fine into a powder)
2 teaspoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons Amarillo hop powder*

6-10 cups vegetable shortening or lard

Directions:

Remove the chicken from the bag and rinse the bird under cold water, removing the special sack. Drain and pat dry with paper towels. Let rest.

In the pitcher of a blender, add the buttermilk, thyme, parsley, garlic, salt, pepper and hop powder. Turn on high and puree until the mixture is smooth.

Take the chicken and place on a cutting board. Butcher the chicken into 8 pieces, traditional (2-leg, 2-thigh, 2-breast, 2-wings) or un-conventionally (cleavertized). Place into a container, large enough to hold all the pieces and pour the buttermilk mixture over the top. Cover and refrigerate for 12-48 hours. This will give the buttermilk time to tenderize the meat and infuse the flavors.

When you can’t wait anymore, drain the herbed buttermilk from the chicken by using a colander. In a sealable plastic bag, add flour, malt flour, salt and hop powder; seal and mix well.

Place a large cast iron pan (dutch oven) over a medium heat burner. Add shortening, oil or lard and heat to 325°. This temperature will prevent the chicken coating from burning and the inside from bring raw… Take a piece of chicken, one at a time, add to the flour bag, seal and shake baby! Using tongs, remove the chicken piece and shake off any extra flower (it will burn in the oil) and place in the oil. The oil level should come up about ½ to ¾ of the way up the sides. Fry the chicken on each side for about 12-15 minutes. The crust on the outside will be a nice golden brown. Try not to move the chicken very much during cooking, as it will break apart the crust, making a more oily fried chicken and cause the crust to fall off.

Once cooked, remove from the oil, letting drain for a few moments and place onto a rack placed over a sheet pan lined with paper towels. Let cool and then EAT!

* Hop powder is made by taking dried hop cones and pulsing in a clean coffee grinder until a fine powder is formed.

Variations:

Instead of just Amarillo hops, try a variety, like you would for an IPA or DIPA. Think about citrusy hops, spicy hops, dang hops; it’s all about personal taste. And you are the chef

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d09OtxQ4wBo&feature=player_embedded

Ooooh, that sounds so great! I have tons of dried cascade from this year's harvest. A cascade chicken sounds awesome to me.

I wonder- I have this potato dish I do that's easy. I use some olive oil and dried Hidden Valley Ranch dressing. Just toss it together with some baby potatoes, then roast in a hot oven until crispy. I bet hops powder would be terrific. I'm going to try it.

Hop popcorn sounds great!

I had some bacon popcorn the other night, had finished frying some bacon and saw all that tasty grease left in the pan, so I threw in some popcorn kernels and put on a lid, tasty!

revvy, i think it was on the NHC 2010 Wrap show from 6-27-10 where he mentioned the hop salt. IIRC, a bunch of folks from the chat room heard him mention it (as did I) and made sure Justin asked him how he made it. i recall he gives a pretty good idea of how it could be made.

The popcorn is simply mediocre, but covered with essence du cascade. I think I should market this, get rich, retire again, and make more beer!

Why not? Seriously, there's all sorts of flavours added to popcorn; everything from caramel to jalapeno to cheese to salty sugar glaze; why not hops? I think you should work out some way to apply the essence du hops to the popcorn, protect your intellectual property & either start marketing it yourself, or sell the idea to a popcorn company. Good luck! Regards, GF.

You know, I'll bet LME would make a very tasty popcorn glaze; kinda like caramel corn. Which naturally leads to using a HOPPED LME; you could also make your own hopped LME glaze with your choice of hops & amount(s). Yoop, I think you're on to something good here! Beer flavoured popcorn; if they can fry beer & make peanutbutter flavoured cheetos, or salty liquorice, why not beer flavoured popcorn? Regards, GF.

You know, I'll bet LME would make a very tasty popcorn glaze; kinda like caramel corn. Which naturally leads to using a HOPPED LME; you could also make your own hopped LME glaze with your choice of hops & amount(s). Yoop, I think you're on to something good here! Beer flavoured popcorn; if they can fry beer & make peanutbutter flavoured cheetos, or salty liquorice, why not beer flavoured popcorn? Regards, GF.

The trouble is that the IBUs of hopped, pre diluted lme is through the roof. If you look at the data for coopers kits, the pre-diluted extract in that can is like 700IBUs...it's only when it gets diluted it comes down to what we get in the final product.

At least once a year someone comes on here after reading the cooper's website freaking out or thinking it is a misprint. But someone on here actually wrote to them and they explained. I post this like once a year.

I fell for that one myself. 710 IBU and 560IBU is for the bitterness at 1.7kg level. By the time you dilute to (say) 23litres, the IBU of the wort is no where near that level.

Coopers Kits

Lager 90 EBC 390 IBU
Draught 130 EBC 420 IBU
Real Ale 230 EBC 560 IBU
Bitter 420 EBC 620 IBU
Dark Ale 550 EBC 590 IBU
Stout 1800 EBC 710 IBU
Canadian Blonde 70 EBC 420 IBU
Bavarian Lager 90 EBC 390 IBU
Mexican Cerveza 53 EBC 300 IBU
Australian Pale Ale 90 EBC 340 IBU

This is for the concentrated form in the can - to get the figure for 23litres: multiply by 1.25 and divide by 23.
To convert EBC to SRM: SRM = (EBC - 1.2)/2.65

Therefore 710 IBU in can = 710 x 1.25 divided by 23 litres = 38 IBUs.

Here's a followup post with an email exchange between a homebrewer and someone @ Cooper's.

Quote:
QUOTE (My email)
How do you calculate how bitter a beer is?

I made a Coopers Bitter, which from your website says is 620 IBU. This is the bitterness of the tin yes?

If made to 23L, what would the bitterness of the beer be?

Would it be 620IBU/23L = 27IBU?

Thanks for your help,
Rob.

And got the reply:

QUOTE (Coopers reply)
G'day Robert. You're close. You also need to take into account the volume of can (1.25l) and allow 5% loss during fermentation:

(620 X 1.25)/23 X 95% = 32 IBU

Cheers, Frank.

So that little can of pre-hopped that you might melt some down for may actually be awfully bitter on it's own.

:eek: 700 IBU'S!?! I've never used hopped LME, but I'm glad you posted this Revvy. Imagine what the reaction would be if you served up 700 IBU popcorn! :cross: I might just give the UNhopped LME popcorn glaze a try though. I've used it in BBQ sauce & it turned out great. Regards, GF.

Homegrown Cascade Hop Powder:

hoppowder.jpg

Back