Stout Faucet without Beer gas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avaserfi

Reaction score
I was doing some looking around today for my upcoming build where I am going to turn my chest freezer into a small bar. I was thinking of running four lines 3 Perlicks and 1 stout tap (the keezer only holds 3 kegs). I don't really want to invest in nitro/beer gas system because I probably won't use it too often, but would like to have the ability (or close to it) when needed. Is it completely pointless to have a stout faucet on CO2 or are the benefits still had, just to a lesser extent?

I tried searching the web and this was all I found. It seems to show that some benefits could be had, but not all of them...

Thanks!

There is no benefit, but you could still use it. You'll want to remove the restrictor disc from the faucet, unless you want a glass of pure foam.

I got a stout faucet in big box of brewing gear, from Craig's List score...I use it to serve Apfelwein!

That's what I figured. That persons results had me pretty interested though - seemed like it was worth asking.

If there was a way I could find a fairly compact nitrogen tank I would be more likely to consider it, but it doesn't look like I will be able to fit everything in the keezer (which is my plan).

Perhaps I can find an inexpensive, small, tank for beergas which would fit in my keezer. Anyone have suggestions?

edit: I was thinking - would a refillable nitrogen tank for paintball work? Those are relatively compact and not too pricey, but would they last a few kegs?

The paint ball tank idea would work, although you might have trouble getting it filled with beer gas. You can run pure nitrogen by adding some CO2 to the keg every 8 pints or so. Figure 6 pints N2, two pints CO2. That will keep the stout carbonated.

The "nitro" paintball tanks are not actually filled with nitrogen. It is just compressed air. You might be able to get it fill with nitrogen at a welding place but I really doubt it. Plus the paintball ones will end up costing you so much more than a normal tank.

I would need to balance cost and size. My goal is to keep all tanks etc in the keezer. Right now my keezer is pretty tight with a 5lb co2 tank and 3 kegs. So I would need something that can fit in addition to that when I need beer gas - any ideas on where to find such a thing?

Back