[Version 2 Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If im running NOOBS it says the files are already expanded. So this is why im confused as to why im getting this error. Im using a 4GB SD card so theres plenty of space. Im a noob to this programming stuff so what can i use for a command to help expand things to double check or what else can I do to avoid this error because it wont let me go any further in my install.

Shouldn't have to. Just open a terminal session and use:

Code:
$ sudo raspi-config

and you should see an entry in the menu to "expand_rootfs - Expand root partition to fill SD card"

Cheers!

[edit] I suspect "files are already expanded" is not the same thing as expanding the root partition...

Code:
$ sudo raspi-config

and you should see an entry in the menu to "expand_rootfs - Expand root partition to fill SD card"

Cheers!

[edit] I suspect "files are already expanded" is not the same thing as expanding the root partition...

Is this a normal step to perform?

One of my swiss flows died, so I'm looking at switching over to these. It's hard to see in the pictures, but is there a special connection on the end? I was planning on wiring them to Cat5 cables so I could plug them in to my project box without having to open it up. I was just going to cut off an end of the cable and attach the wires. On the swiss flows, I just soldered the wires together. Can I just push copper wires in to the connector? Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, What type of connectors did you put on the ends to attach your hoses? Will the same adapters I have for the swiss flow work?

And finally, now that you've had them for a bit, how do you like them?

Thanks!

Code:
$ sudo raspi-config

Cheers!

That's the first option on there and that was what was telling me everything was already expanded. I never had this issue when I ran pints last year

Ah, ok, verbiage didn't compute as it's not really "files" that are extended/expanded, it's a partition.

I haven't done a new Raspbian build in nearly two years, and from what I've been seeing there've been enough changes to Raspian and LXDE that my experience is pretty stale in some areas.

But, just to be sure you're not facing a space issue, in a terminal session use the 'df' command.

Code:
pi@rpints ~ $ df
Filesystem                         1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                              14918108 6786488   7350772  49% /
/dev/root                           14918108 6786488   7350772  49% /
devtmpfs                              470444       0    470444   0% /dev
tmpfs                                  94948     344     94604   1% /run
tmpfs                                   5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                 189880       0    189880   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1                         61302   14526     46776  24% /boot
//192.168.1.251/USB_Storage/rpints   3914736   40416   3874320   2% /media/readyshare/rpints

Cool - it even shows free space on remote-mounted devices (the ReadyShare is a USB stick plugged into one of my routers that I do automagic nightly backs ups of my RaspberryPints database and my temperature logger database).

Anyway, if rootfs-/dev/root is maxxed out it might explain what you're butting up against...

Cheers!

#2 kicked four ounces past predicted. Well within my fill error. I love this thing!

tap_list_29aug2015.jpg

That Wheat is in my sights next...

Cheers! :D

[edit]

Thar she blows! Wife had the honor this time, got half a wine glass before the wheatie coughed its last.
7 ounces indicated remaining but that's definitely a dead keg right there.

tap_list_30aug2015.jpg

Blondie is next...

My tap list got its first big showing at a wedding just over a week ago. I wanted to have the flow meters working also, but that did not work out. I got my John Guest stem barbs in the mail friday, and today ran four oz of starsan through each flow meter, and they all worked perfectly. Next saturday we have another wedding and i cant wait to see this thing in action...

You guys ROCK!
And thanks to everyone who answered any questions i had.
Special thanks to my awesome friend (and brother in law) who did all the soldering on the ala mode. Everyone needs friends like that :mug:

to run run the Rasbian image. Im going to keep giving this install shot after shot to try and get it to work.

You gotta use win32diskimager

And to the guy asking about the cheapo flow meters. You need a standard 3pin molex type connector. Or you could cut and splice. I bought some long pc fan extensions for mine. The threads can be a little tricky. I didn't look any your post but if you got the adafruit guy I'm assuming you went with the 1/2" one. I got 1/4" from seeed studio. My bummer was that they use bsp fittings but using a lot of Teflon got me working. No leaks so far. I don't have any beer down currently but I've had water in pressurized legs for months now with no leaks.

Thanks, wbarber69. I haven't ordered the flow meters yet. I was wondering how they worked. I have this right now: John Guest Female Adapter BSPP - 3/8 x 3/8 BSPP. Do you think I need to get 3/8 x 1/2 BSPP? It's about $33 for 12 of them. I have 6 taps, so I'd probably do that. Maybe I'll just order them and see if my existing ones fit. Thanks for letting me know!

Finally got things up and running last night. For some reason I had to install everything on an 8GB SB instead of a 4 GB (which worked last year). My new issue the screen blanking didnt seem to work. I checked the code and it matches what the install instructions state. Also how to you get it to load straight to the taplist on start up. I remember I was able to do that when I had it previously installed. Thanks for the help guys.

Finally got things up and running last night. For some reason I had to install everything on an 8GB SB instead of a 4 GB (which worked last year). My new issue the screen blanking didnt seem to work. I checked the code and it matches what the install instructions state. Also how to you get it to load straight to the taplist on start up. I remember I was able to do that when I had it previously installed. Thanks for the help guys.

I had the same problem. Check that you modified the proper autostart file. You really want to modify the one in LXDE-pi rather than LXDE

So here's a curious one: I recently installed TightVNC so I could manage my Pi remotely. Unfortunately my laptop monitor and Pi monitor resolutions don't match, so instead of mirroring the Pi treats it as two separate monitors. Now whenever I start the Pi, RPints opens on the VNC screen instead of the main one, even if I don't have a remote connection. Thoughts? Fixes?

How'd you set it up to run an automatic back up of your stuff. Id love to do this so I can prevent this mess in the future. Especially if I turn this Pi into a BrewPi. Thanks

Ah, ok, verbiage didn't compute as it's not really "files" that are extended/expanded, it's a partition.

I haven't done a new Raspbian build in nearly two years, and from what I've been seeing there've been enough changes to Raspian and LXDE that my experience is pretty stale in some areas.

But, just to be sure you're not facing a space issue, in a terminal session use the 'df' command.

Code:
pi@rpints ~ $ df
Filesystem                         1K-blocks    Used Available Use% Mounted on
rootfs                              14918108 6786488   7350772  49% /
/dev/root                           14918108 6786488   7350772  49% /
devtmpfs                              470444       0    470444   0% /dev
tmpfs                                  94948     344     94604   1% /run
tmpfs                                   5120       0      5120   0% /run/lock
tmpfs                                 189880       0    189880   0% /run/shm
/dev/mmcblk0p1                         61302   14526     46776  24% /boot
//192.168.1.251/USB_Storage/rpints   3914736   40416   3874320   2% /media/readyshare/rpints

Cool - it even shows free space on remote-mounted devices (the ReadyShare is a USB stick plugged into one of my routers that I do automagic nightly backs ups of my RaspberryPints database and my temperature logger database).

Anyway, if rootfs-/dev/root is maxxed out it might explain what you're butting up against...

Cheers!

One of my swiss flows died, so I'm looking at switching over to these. It's hard to see in the pictures, but is there a special connection on the end? I was planning on wiring them to Cat5 cables so I could plug them in to my project box without having to open it up. I was just going to cut off an end of the cable and attach the wires. On the swiss flows, I just soldered the wires together. Can I just push copper wires in to the connector? Hopefully that makes sense.

Also, What type of connectors did you put on the ends to attach your hoses? Will the same adapters I have for the swiss flow work?

And finally, now that you've had them for a bit, how do you like them?

Thanks!

Sorry for the late response. Life/work has been getting in the way of beer :-(
I also used a network cable. I put one of these in my project box.
http://www.adafruit.com/products/909
For the connectors I used 3 pin JST connectors attached to a network cable with the end cut off.
https://www.adafruit.com/products/1663
For the barb connector to the hose I you need 1/4" barb x 1/2" NPT found here: http://www.grainger.com/product/THOGUS-Female-Adapter-3XVT2
I have been happy with the meters so far. My test pours show it to be fairly accurate, but I have not yet properly measured a starting point and emptied a keg to see how accurate they will be after going through 5G. Even if not perfect I am sure they are close enough for me. I don't need to know down to the ounce, I just want to know when a keg is getting near the end so that I know when to plan the next brew.

Thanks for the reply! Mine should be here tomorrow. The only thing I will need then is the barb connectors. I'm the same way with the accuracy. I just want to know when I need to make more.

I came up with a different way to do the screen-saver / power saver option. When my monitor is plugged in, it goes to whatever state it was in previously as far as on or off. So I turned it on then unplugged it.

I bought one of http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087ZTDAS and wired it up in a small junction box, sacrificing a small extension cord to be the power side, soldering the wires to the pins and covering with heat shrink. The 12v signal comes from the motion detector that I use that's powered off a 12v adapter, that also powers my recirculating fan inside the kegerator and some of the LEDs.

Now, when I walk downstairs to my basement, the LED lights kick on and the screen turns on. After a few minutes, it all turns off. Near zero power consumption the rest of the time, and it doesn't get a lot of on/off switching because the kegerator isn't in a high-traffic area.

Maybe doing a hard power on / off of the monitor isn't great - maybe it's not a big deal whatsoever... but this method works perfectly for me and may be an option for you.

-Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
I came up with a different way to do the screen-saver / power saver option. When my monitor is plugged in, it goes to whatever state it was in previously as far as on or off. So I turned it on then unplugged it.

I bought one of http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0087ZTDAS and wired it up in a small junction box, sacrificing a small extension cord to be the power side, soldering the wires to the pins and covering with heat shrink. The 12v signal comes from the motion detector that I use that's powered off a 12v adapter, that also powers my recirculating fan inside the kegerator and some of the LEDs.

Now, when I walk downstairs to my basement, the LED lights kick on and the screen turns on. After a few minutes, it all turns off. Near zero power consumption the rest of the time, and it doesn't get a lot of on/off switching because the kegerator isn't in a high-traffic area.

Maybe doing a hard power on / off of the monitor isn't great - maybe it's not a big deal whatsoever... but this method works perfectly for me and may be an option for you.

-Kevin

Purely hardware solution. Nice.

How long does it take from motion detected for the screen to be up fully with none of those ever so helpful messages that monitors love to display nowadays?

The motion detection picks me up about halfway down the stairs to the basement. By the time I'm in front of my kegerator, we're ready to rock. Maybe 7-10sec at most?

For the connectors I used 3 pin JST connectors attached to a network cable with the end cut off.
For the barb connector to the hose I you need 1/4" barb x 1/2" NPT found here: http://www.grainger.com/product/THOGUS-Female-Adapter-3XVT2
I have been happy with the meters so far. My test pours show it to be fairly accurate, but I have not yet properly measured a starting point and emptied a keg to see how accurate they will be after going through 5G. Even if not perfect I am sure they are close enough for me. I don't need to know down to the ounce, I just want to know when a keg is getting near the end so that I know when to plan the next brew.

One last question. Did you change the following like TimL suggested?

Chang the following line in /includes/pours.php

$amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 21120;

to

$amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 1500;

One last question. Did you change the following like TimL suggested?

Chang the following line in /includes/pours.php

$amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 21120;

to

$amount = $PULSE_COUNT / 1500;

Actually the meters Tim has looked the same but are in fact not adafruit.
I set mine to 3000

Actually the meters Tim has looked the same but are in fact not adafruit.

I set mine to 3000

That's around what I set mine to. You'll find that a little fine tuning can get you even closer to perfect. I recommend anyone using non-swissflow meters use about 3000 for a baseline. But you'll definitely want to play around with it depending on the size of your meter. I used a 1/4 inch and I think I remember someone using around 14000 for their setup, but after I found it better to drill out the tiny input orifice to allow better flow I found that the high pulse count was way off. Like 8 oz off. So I dropped it to 1400. Then it was about 4oz off in the other direction. Anything between 2700-4200 gave good results, so I just kept playing with the setting until I got it spot on. Now I'm definitely well within the 3% accuracy margin.

So I've been messing with this for weeks, and can't get it running. I had to get a new alamode board because the power plug got damaged on my old one. I hooked everything up by cat5 cable and soldered the wires I was going to use. Unfortunately, it's not ready any pours. Do you have any tips on how you used your network cables? Did you solder individual wires to a male connector to plug in? I used the blue, green and orange wires, with blue soldered to a wire for for data, green for ground and orange for power. I used these cables (http://www.monoprice.com/product?c_id=102&cp_id=10208&cs_id=1020808&p_id=9551&seq=1&format=2) but think I should go with 24AWG. The wires were so thin. Any advice on the cables would be great!

Also, I found this on Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B002D0DK8E/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20). I'd think with this I'd just have to crimp on connectors and not need to solder anything. I could just plug in the solid wires to the boards. The only possible downside is the stiffness, but I can deal with that.

Back