Tripel Stuck? Or Slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you are still at 1.040, repitch the same yeast or go with a wyeast 1056 or wlp001. They wont impart any flavors they will just finish the job. It sounds as though you grossly underpitched, for whatever the reason, or your thermometer is busted and you mashed way higher than you think you did.

Check your thermo and next time leave it in primary till the job is done. Yes, even if it goes past the 2 week rule.

Because i have had some beers struggle, i typically primary for 3 weeks... Typically..

Patience can go a long way, especially for the big beers.

Good luck!

I bought a MixStir and brewed a koelsch today. While I had my hydrometer sanitized, I checked the tripel. I could've sworn I read 1.032 the other day. Today it was 1.040. There may have been beer goggles involved in the 1.032 reading. I pitched some yeast energizer, at the suggestion of the brew store, and it began bubbling in a few seconds. I actually had to put on the blow off tube. Maybe that will work, maybe not. I'm gonna recheck in a few days.

I had a dubbel go from 1.081 to stick at 1.032 with Wlp540 (or whatever the Rochefort strain is). Apparently it's common for it to do so.

Pitched a load of wlp001 and it then dropped to 1.017, which is roughly where I expected it to go.

I may give that a try, however i'm inclined to agree with Yooper that the recipe is flawed. I've checked it against others, and it just doesn't jive.

The last tripel i did took ages. Like you I did a standard rack off at 1-2 weeks... Big mistake. I was using the Belgian Trappist yeast and it goes forever. Racked to secondary and left it in the secondary for a month. Kegged and it tastes green, so i left it in the keg for another month in 75-80 degrees... It finally came around after about 75-90 days. When i finished the keg i noticed a good 2 inch yeast cake in the keg.
If i ever do another one im bottling it and leaving it for MONTHS.
My advise to you is leave it in secondary for at least a month and maybe rack it every 2 weeks to make sure you don't get any off tastes from sitting on inactive yeast cakes for too long. I am by no means an expert and could be alllll wet but i will not do another tripel until I am patient :) with summer here and a pool and 4 taps i am aleays rushing beer to make sure I'm not dry.

I bought a MixStir and brewed a koelsch today. While I had my hydrometer sanitized, I checked the tripel. I could've sworn I read 1.032 the other day. Today it was 1.040. There may have been beer goggles involved in the 1.032 reading. I pitched some yeast energizer, at the suggestion of the brew store, and it began bubbling in a few seconds. I actually had to put on the blow off tube. Maybe that will work, maybe not. I'm gonna recheck in a few days.

The bubbling was likely not fermentation, but CO2 being released by the nutrient providing nucleation sites.

The last tripel i did took ages. Like you I did a standard rack off at 1-2 weeks... Big mistake. I was using the Belgian Trappist yeast and it goes forever. Racked to secondary and left it in the secondary for a month. Kegged and it tastes green, so i left it in the keg for another month in 75-80 degrees... It finally came around after about 75-90 days. When i finished the keg i noticed a good 2 inch yeast cake in the keg.
If i ever do another one im bottling it and leaving it for MONTHS.
My advise to you is leave it in secondary for at least a month and maybe rack it every 2 weeks to make sure you don't get any off tastes from sitting on inactive yeast cakes for too long. I am by no means an expert and could be alllll wet but i will not do another tripel until I am patient :) with summer here and a pool and 4 taps i am aleays rushing beer to make sure I'm not dry.

You can leave the beer sitting on the yeast for a LONG time, maybe months, before you have to worry about off flavors from the yeast. Let the beer make the schedule, not the calendar.

Back