Frozen yeast - cell count

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamesmacfie

Reaction score
Hey all,

I can't seems to find an answer to this question anywhere, but I apoplogise if the question has been posted before and I missed it.

I'm looking at starting a frozen yeast bank. I live in New Zealand and yeast is freakin' expensive. I'm looking at following this guide here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/guide-making-frozen-yeast-bank-35891/

The way I see it is that if I use a smack pack with 100 billion cells (assuming viability is at 100% for arguments sake) and make a big enough starter to quadruple the yeast count, I will be able to have 4 jars/vials of frozen yeast - each the equivalent to one smack pack.

But what I was wondering, is this yeast count too optimistic? Does any of the yeast die off once you freeze and unfreeze it? If I'm to create a new starter with an accurate number of yeast cells for the next brew I would need to know the initial yeast count to put into a yeast starter calculator.

Back