sparging alternatives??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allphoto

Reaction score
I did a partial mash for my last brew using the technique from this page on BYO
http://***********/feature/986.html. I liked the way the process worked for me and will continue to use it as a transition to AG. I adapted the technique to the gear I had on hand, and this worked great except for the sparging... I was using a pint plastic container for my water, and pouring the water over the grains through a fine screen mason jar sprouting top... my grains were in a stainless colander with a handle that almost fully covers my 5 gal brewpot.it had a nice sprinkling effect, but I would like to find a way to this step more efficiently. Short of investing in a cooler to make a mash tun, does or has anyone used a method similar the the one described, and had a better way to sparge???

Can you spring for a grain bag? A 5 gallon paint strainer from the paint store? Use it like a big tea bag, and 'batch sparge'- First. drain the bag into the brew pot, then use another pot with the heated sparge water in it, and dip the 'tea bag' into it. soak and agitate for 10 minutes, and drain again. No sprinkling involved.

But I dunno, only did one steep recipe, 5 years ago.

Back