Bazooka T

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

the_bird

10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I know it's been asked before, but forgive me...

How well does the Bazooka T work for pellet hops?

http://pivo.northernbrewer.com/nbstore/action/search-do?searchTerm=bazooka&x=5&y=10

Tried putting one together myself, using SS braid like for my MLT it doesn't work at all. Plugs up within ten seconds. Clearly, it's too small, or something. I much prefer using pellet hops (not least of which because they're cheaper), and bags seems like a PITA when doing multiple hop additions. I know a hopstopper works well, but I can't justify dropping $60 right now - so how well does an $18 Bazooka T screen out hop pellets?

(also - anyone see a better deal on a sight glass than northernbrewer's $20 jobber?)

I bodged together a decent hopstopper-like invention out of SS window screen for a song. It works really well for pellet hops too - I was surprised to see.

Chairman Cheyco said:
I bodged together a decent hopstopper-like invention out of SS window screen for a song. It works really well for pellet hops too - I was surprised to see.

"Bodged' is a great word. I haven't heard that word since we moved and stopped getting the BBC. Maybe I'll see what I can find for SS window screen next time I'm at the Depot. Did you like, sew the screeen together with wire?

the_bird said:
Did you like, sew the screeen together with wire?

Nope, I made it out of one piece of screen by folding it over (leaving a big dome on top) then rolled up the edges a few times really tightly with pliers to create the edge seams. Then I used a hose clamp to attach it to the pipe (in my case a ghetto-style home-made copper racking cane.)

I'm going to do another one soon since I have a few improvements to the design, so maybe I'll get it together and post another DIY project.

No bazooka Ts will clog with hop pellets. And when I say clog, nothing will drain from your kettle at all.

My first run with my new keggle and bazooka T, I used 4 ozs of hop pellets. not very much at all for a 10 gallon batch. After cooling, we started racking to the primaries. Yea, that was a near disaster. I had to use my spoon and and keep sitrring right at the T to keep the hops off of it.

My next batch using the T, I used 5 ozs of whole hops. Worked liek a champ, no problems whatsoever.

Chimone said:
No bazooka Ts will clog with hop pellets. And when I say clog, nothing will drain from your kettle at all.

My first run with my new keggle and bazooka T, I used 4 ozs of hop pellets. not very much at all for a 10 gallon batch. After cooling, we started racking to the primaries. Yea, that was a near disaster. I had to use my spoon and and keep sitrring right at the T to keep the hops off of it.

My next batch using the T, I used 5 ozs of whole hops. Worked liek a champ, no problems whatsoever.

That's what I needed to hear. Thanks, bro!

I use whole as much as I can and still haven't jumped into something more sophisticated than my copper scrubbie yet but I was really intrigued with brewhead's setup from this thread.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=19677&page=4

hop_bag%20003.jpg

That is one heck of a large bag, allows for tossing in for your various additions. I got some recipes where I gotta use pellets and I'm thinking this might be my setup when pellets are needed. And you can get these bags for $2.50 at Home-D (2 pack). Only problem for me would be his setup wouldn't go deep enough for my keggle so the arms would need to be bent to dip lower.

the_bird said:
That's what I needed to hear. Thanks, bro!

Ive started ordering from freshops now anyways in bulk. It really does work great when using whole hops.....

Clogging isnt my issue wit hthe bazooka. The way it sits, I loose almost half a gallon when the siphon finally gives. But I really don't want to pay for a hopstopper.

So if someone comes up with a good alternative to both, Im all ears

Chimone said:
Ive started ordering from freshops now anyways in bulk. It really does work great when using whole hops.....

Clogging isnt my issue wit hthe bazooka. The way it sits, I loose almost half a gallon when the siphon finally gives. But I really don't want to pay for a hopstopper.

So if someone comes up with a good alternative to both, Im all ears

I should have a chest freezer in a month or so; got someone coming to wire the basement next week, then the freezer will be the first purchase (followed quickly by a second freezer and a temperature control). I guess I'd feel better about using whole hops if they weren't twice as much $$ at the HBS. Costs me essentially the same for an ounce of whole or two ounces of pellet. If I can buy in bulk, problem is solved.

So, regarding the siphon issue; do you have one of the tubes that bends down to reach the bottom of the keggle, or just a straight tube out from the bulkhead?

the_bird said:
So, regarding the siphon issue; do you have one of the tubes that bends down to reach the bottom of the keggle, or just a straight tube out from the bulkhead?

Ill take pics when I get home

I used my new Bazooka T for the first time, yesterday, with no problems at all. 3.5 oz pellet hops, and my keggle drained right out. Mine has a 90 degree elbow to keep the T almost on the bottom.

Back