Pappy`s Pub Cider - Award Winner!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope.
Just plain ole table sugar.
Supposedly when using brown sugar, sinse it ferments most of the sugar out the residual flavor i've heard is not pleasant.
Sinse i `finish` these ciders (add flavors in secondary) i generally want the sugar to be neutral as to not distract from the other flavors.
If i were to make the sugar be the standout flavor, i'd use a Belgian candy sugar as it is easy to make. But i've read a few pages here claiming that there was little difference between using a Belgian candy sugar and regular table sugar... I guess YMMV
Brown sugars supposedly have a high molasses content and having made a molasses wine (and not really liking it) I've intentionally avoided putting it in my ciders.

I made some applejack with demerara sugar (1lb/gallon), too much burnt molasses flavour in the end. I have two 1 gal recipes working now with 1 using all white and the other using half white and half golden yellow. Curious to see the difference.

Just checked in on this recipe i have on the go, been fermenting for approx 2.5 weeks and it is at 1.026 with a bubble every 30 seconds or so. Tastes great! I will be making some applejack from this but drinking most of it the way it ends up.

It is much better than my other 3 recipes on the go, so excited to see how it finishes!

Have a feeling i will be making a whole lot more of this recipe, thanks paps!

I am hosting a christmas party on dec 16th, planning on serving this up.

Hey BILTIT! Looks like we are on the same track. Mine too is about 2.5 weeks old and 1.03 (few days ago). It tastes way better than I expected it to. It's starting to slow down fermentation wise and I can in the last couple days really start to smell the alcohol in it. Pretty good for not being cleared and for around the 13% range! I just put on 6 gallons mid week so there will be plenty for our annual christmas libations. loving this community! awesome!

We just started seven gallons of this last weekend using IGA apple juice, fourteen pounds of table sugar,two tablespoons Fermaid O and EC-1118 re hydrated with ferm protect.

:mug::mug:

Yesterday I started 2 gallons with 4 pounds of sugar. Used Montrachet yeast. No 1118 left in my yeast stash and I'm not patient enough to wait for the online order to arrive next week. ;) The local temperatures have been a bit cool lately so I added 2 teaspoons of yeast nutrient just for good measure. Smaller batch experiment...planning to throw in 1 or 2 Martinelli's mulling spice bags in secondary and unsure how many to use. Directions on the box say 1 bag per 8 ounces when using it for hot spiced cider. Since the spices will be infusing, I am thinking 1 bag per gallon. Will taste test 1 week after the spice bag goes in the cider in secondary and go from there. Input or suggestions gladly accepted. :)

Let us know about the pear addition if there's a difference. Did you find that at superstore as well? Thanks for the FAJC reference to there. Helped fortify a weak blend I have on.

I've also made some apple concentrate from the left over juice and I'm excited about backsweetening with it. How many times do you let it thaw and release the concentrate then refreeze and try again?

No problem, yup pear juice was from superstore also. Still keeping my eye out for apricot juice but no luck so far.

In that photo I am jacking (already fermented) so I am unsure how many times you would do it with just juice.

When I jack I do it until it won't freeze well enough to separate anymore. At 1lb/gallon using ec1118 I could only get 3 freeze/thaw cycles.

sweet. Love it. Concentrating juice for sweetening the final cider before kegging. Works great. I'm only one re-freeze 2

and thanks for Paps for all the effort and responses that have been added to this thread!!

I got 8 gallons of this that just quite working yesterday so I'm guessing in a week or so I'll be racking into secondary and cold crashing before bottling I also experimented with four and a half gallons with a little brown sugar and cinnamon tried 2 diffrent yeast with the original recipe D-47 and E-1118 fingers crossed that it all turns out for me ������

It's recommended you leave this in primary for one month. Mines almost a month and it has changed significantly in flavour over the last week to ten days. Getting to be quite good. Can't wait to see what it's like after another month. Excited.
Give it time. You'll be glad you did

Someone suggested adding 4 - 5 cans of apple juice concentrate to the bottling bucket to give it a more "apple-y" taste. Won't the sugar in the concentrate have the same effect as priming sugar --- which OP says NOT to add at bottling?

Won't the sugar in the concentrate have the same effect as priming sugar --- which OP says NOT to add at bottling?

Yes and no.
This recipe uses a simpler method of cider making than most every other cider recipe on HBT.
It overloads the yeasts ability to convert sugar to alcohol and therefore doesn't need added sugar for priming. It is PLENTY sweet without adding anymore sugar.
So `yes` adding priming sugar normally would continue fermentation by providing more food for the yeast
but `no` you don't need to worry about that because the yeast are stuffed/full/not hungry anymore.

Keep in mind that i keg though. Bottle bombs are not a concern of mine.
YMMV
-hope this helps.

Thanks Paps for the recipe. One week in the primary and don't know how I going to wait the other 7+. Additionally this fall heat we are getting is killing me in regards to the fermentation temperature. If this batch turns out gamey that'll be the reason.

I will be bottling and I've read just about every page of this recipe thread. Still after everything I've read it still seem uncertain to me whether the bottles will carb or not (I plan on using super kleer). I have seen everything from "bottle bombs galore" to "little or no carbonation". I will fill a plastic bottle tester to avoid the bottle bombs. Ultimately I will follow up in this thread when all is said and done to let you know my experience.

Cheers.

Thanks Paps for the recipe. One week in the primary and don't know how I going to wait the other 7+. Additionally this fall heat we are getting is killing me in regards to the fermentation temperature. If this batch turns out gamey that'll be the reason.

I will be bottling and I've read just about every page of this recipe thread. Still after everything I've read it still seem uncertain to me whether the bottles will carb or not (I plan on using super kleer). I have seen everything from "bottle bombs galore" to "little or no carbonation". I will fill a plastic bottle tester to avoid the bottle bombs. Ultimately I will follow up in this thread when all is said and done to let you know my experience.

Cheers.

Man, you can't go wrong no matter what. I've made this twice now. First batch in mid July 2015, second mid September 2015. Just pulled a few bottles out tonight, and still have a couple plus a 1/2 gallon jug. It most definitely gets better with age.

As far as carbonation, I had little to none. Enough to pressurize my plastic half gallon jug, but nothing more. I like to mix it with some ginger ale if I'm looking for some fizzies.

This stuff is great! My first batch came out delicious. A bit too sweet for me when drinking cold but it is wonderful when it is heated up in a coffee mug with a cinnamon stick soaking in it. My wife and I have been drinking it every evening since it is cooler. Reminds me of fresh hot gluwein when we were in Germany and Italy......but with more kick. Already have another batch going but with a few pounds less sugar. Thanks for the recipe Paps.

Wow....mine is down to 1.00. Going to be an ass kicker because it tastes pretty damn great! So that's 17% and still airlock activity/bubbling in cider itself.

Started Oct 18 - fresh pressed cider and EC-1118
Brewing temp 65 (on the carboy)
gave it another hit of yeast nutrient few days ago (seemed to like that addition)
It's all good!

Paps - What's the longest you've aged this cider for in bottles? Much improvement over time or does it plateau? Think it might be hard to age as I think it'll be in demand!

Paps - What's the longest you've aged this cider for in bottles? Much improvement over time or does it plateau? Think it might be hard to age as I think it'll be in demand!

I keg. If i bottle any from the keg they don't last long.
I do a single barrel solera in an old whiskey barrel but that's the only one with what you could call "age" on it. It took a silver at GLINTCAP this year.
Others on here have had more patience than i have had in regards to aging this. Perhaps they could chime in as to how it compares at say 3-6-9-12 months of aging.

BILTIT...
The one I brewed at a slightly height temp stopped at 1.02

This one the room temp is about 58F (65 on carboy). Previous one was about 65F room temp. Didn't take temp of cider itself on first batch.

Also added yeast nutrient in the last week and I think that kept it going.

Collegue said he's seen ec-1118 do 20%

Good info, thx.

I ferment at 66-68f on carboy.

Didnt add nutrient at the end though.

Will know in the next few days if 1.020 is a good stopping point for jacking. On my second freeze/thaw cycle tomorrow.

Its good to drink at 1.020 straight up though too.

After first jacking of pappys recipe, its pretty sweet. I am hopeful once the alcohol is increased more it will balance the sweetness.

Tasty stuff anyway you cut it!

Back in for the 3rd freeze, cant wait!

20161115_220348.jpg

Started my second batch of this recipe on Sunday, 10 gallons. I'm wanting to flavor at least half in secondary with cinnamon and am looking for some input from anyone who's done this. Would I boil the cinnamon sticks first and then just drop them into the secondary fermenter? Oh, and around how many sticks per gallon for a noticeable flavor. Thanks!

I flavoured 2L of it with 1/4 fresh cinnamon stick (not the store bought stuff, got it from cinnamonhill.com). I used 1/4 stick for 2L, been in there for about a week now and its pretty good. I would probably shoot for 1/2 stick per gallon? You can always add more afterwards.

I added the cinnamon after the secondary though, i store my stuff in 2L pop bottles so that is when i put it in (bottle conditioning stage i guess you could call it).

My sticks are individually wrapped so i am not too worried about contamination (i probably should be though), i just dropped them in. I did sterilize my hands first.

I also have 2L with oak chips in it, haven't tasted that one yet.

Paps!
I'm now out of fresh pressed juice :(
When you say tree top juice - do you mean the clear or more naturally cloudy ones? We don't have tree top here but have Mott's. (If it even makes a difference).

About to rack over to secondary my last batch tonight. It's at .998 and going to be deadly. Thinking a little cinnamon would be great. Have you tried a touch of apple pie spice or cardemon (strong stuff so a do mean a touch). Is using dry spices doing to be a problem? I suppose a spiced tea of them may be a better addition.....

Thanks!

Started my second batch of this recipe on Sunday, 10 gallons. I'm wanting to flavor at least half in secondary with cinnamon and am looking for some input from anyone who's done this. Would I boil the cinnamon sticks first and then just drop them into the secondary fermenter? Oh, and around how many sticks per gallon for a noticeable flavor. Thanks!

Don't add cinnamon to primary. Had two skunky batches because of this.
You don't need much. If you read back Paps says he uses two sticks in the last couple weeks in secondary.

Thanks BILTIT. Going to have to order me some of that cinnamon!!

It is really good cinnamon!

So i tasted the batch with french oak chips that have been in it for a week or so. Not sure i am a fan. The oak gave it a slight bitter taste maybe, not sure exactly. Maybe in time it will get better. Really like the cinnamon in it though.

Paps...Are you using the clear tree top? Can't get it here but we do have mott's. There's the clear or cloudy version...which do you prefer?

I flavoured 2L of it with 1/4 fresh cinnamon stick (not the store bought stuff, got it from cinnamonhill.com). I used 1/4 stick for 2L, been in there for about a week now and its pretty good. I would probably shoot for 1/2 stick per gallon? You can always add more afterwards.

I added the cinnamon after the secondary though, i store my stuff in 2L pop bottles so that is when i put it in (bottle conditioning stage i guess you could call it).

My sticks are individually wrapped so i am not too worried about contamination (i probably should be though), i just dropped them in. I did sterilize my hands first.

I also have 2L with oak chips in it, haven't tasted that one yet.

BILTIT,

Thanks for sharing the link and the procedure you follow. I bottle condition/age in liter swing-top bottles so I'm going to test out the theory of "spicing" individually versus all 5 gallons in secondary. Makes sense honestly, since I've read yeast and cinnamon produce funky off-flavors. I throw potassium metabisulfite into my bottling bucket before I fill up my swing-tops to kill the yeast and truly prevent any explosions in my pantry, so in the bottles sounds like a good plan...for half my batch anyway.

No problem.

I use super-kleer in the secondary to drop out yeast and to help clear. I then put it into 2L bottles which i give a squeeze before putting the cap on. That way i can just do a visual test and see if the bottle is pressuring up or not.

Back