Adding Grain for flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blaine

Reaction score
I have made a few brews so far but am a relitive newby at home brewing and would like some advice. I have been toying with the idea of adding some grain to my next brew just for a change but am unsure of the method! Should I be substituting Dextrose with the Grain or should I simply be adding the grain to the final mix?

Any advice welcome

Steeping specialty grains isn't a substitute for dextrose. Basically, you're just leaching out some flavors, you don't get much in the way of sugars.

http://www.howtobrew.com/section2/chapter13.html

Steeping is simple. Put the grains in a mesh bag and hang it it 170F water for 30 minutes or so. Take the bag out, add your extract and proceed in the usual fashion.

Yup, that's all you need to do. Don't take anything out of the original recipe, just add a few pounds of grain for variety. It will give you a MUCH broader range of options when making a batch and you will be very glad you did it.

-walker

Back