adding lime juice to keg of corona clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9am53

Reaction score
Hi, I made a keg of coopers corona for SWMBO and it turned out great, but since it will be drank out of glasses and pitchers instead of the fancy bottle with a lime wedge, I thought I would just add the lime juice to the keg and forego the hassle of having to cut lime slices or wedges. How much lime juice should I add? I could just add some a few times to adjust to taste, but would rather just open the keg once to keep from wasting CO2 too much. I was thinking a tablespoon for the 5 gallon keg.

My advice is to pour yourself 8 oz. of the beer. Then add 1/4 or 1/8 tsp (smallest measuring spoon you have) of the lime juice to your glass and mix well. Taste. Repeat until you are happy.
Now take the amount you added for that glass and multiply by 80 to get the amount you need to add to the 5 gallon batch.

Yeah, this sounds good but I have found that this sort of scaling up tends to not work with cooking very well...

Scaling up like this works but accuracy in you measurements at the small scale is key. I would suggest using a pretty accurate measuring cup for the 8 oz sample and a syringe (they sell them at the pharmacy) for the measurement of the juice.

I did this method for adding OJ concentrate to a Blue moon clone (for the swmbo), and it worked out quite well. Was like the orange slice was already added.

I have a 10 mL syringe here at work I will take and try this out tonight. Hopefully I don't botch the batch! lol

and how much did it end up being if you remember?

Don't remember the exact amount, but I do remember it being about 3/4 a can of concentrate. Your lime juice addition will probably need a lot less as the lime flavor is a lot stronger than the OJ.

ok, I'm glad I didn't take your advice lol. I used a measuring cup and measured out 8 oz, and then used a graduated 1 mL pipette to find that 1.5 mL of lime juice in the cup was perfect. I hesitated before adding 120 mL to the keg as I still had my doubts. I took 50 mL of the lime juice, froze it to sterilize it, and added it. This 50 mL turned out to be perfect. I had half a dozen people last night drinking away and complimenting me on how it was great. In case somebody searched this topic and found this thread, start out with 50mL of lime juice and then add more if you need, but I think it will be just perfect!

ok, I'm glad I didn't take your advice lol. I used a measuring cup and measured out 8 oz, and then used a graduated 1 mL pipette to find that 1.5 mL of lime juice in the cup was perfect. I hesitated before adding 120 mL to the keg as I still had my doubts. I took 50 mL of the lime juice, froze it to sterilize it, and added it. This 50 mL turned out to be perfect. I had half a dozen people last night drinking away and complimenting me on how it was great. In case somebody searched this topic and found this thread, start out with 50mL of lime juice and then add more if you need, but I think it will be just perfect!

Glad it turned out so well for you, but just as an fyi - freezing the lime juice will not sterilize it. Most bacteria can survive being frozen. They just don't multiply until they are thawed out and warmed. Anyway, the acidity of the juice probably kept it bug free for you.

thanks, they don't sell that here in Canada though. I just used one of those lime juice squirt bottles at the grocery store, so it was about as easy as adding a packet of powder though

Glad it turned out so well for you, but just as an fyi - freezing the lime juice will not sterilize it. Most bacteria can survive being frozen. They just don't multiply until they are thawed out and warmed. Anyway, the acidity of the juice probably kept it bug free for you.

you don't have to freeze lime or lemon juice, you can cook food with just there acid and no heat source, it will kill any buggers in the measuring cup

Latest posts

Back