- P90x -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coming from an ex-collegiate athlete, personal trainer and strength coach I can honestly say that P90X is perfect for the non athlete. The program I reviewed does strength as well as conditioning. Don't worry about recovery for what you are trying to accomplish. FYI Typical human body cannot put on more then 15 lbs. of "lean mass" without some type of chemical aid. ;). Most of the time when you see "lean mass" gain it is usually just a reduction in body fat. I like to use the "you see what you get" approach when recommending programs. Does the commercial look like what you want to look like? If you use his program you won't look exactly like he does but some what the same BF wise. I have taken college level football, DIV 1A, and increased there bench press using the "sissy balls" you see at the gym. You know the big round ones that women do crunches on. Its all about how you do it. Good luck. If you want any advice let me know.

P90 and P90X are great programs to get people into the gym attitude. But as bigin31 said without supplements or chemical aids its hard to really get that lean mass. I thought about using P90X program as an additional workout to what I already do for the military due to that I can actually do it with my wife. Benefits for both due to that I can get my wife into really working out instead of just running with me.

Ouch!

Wife and I started P90X 2 days ago. The "Lean" program. Got little more than half way through Core Synegistics before I collapsed then she sympathy collapsed. Did Cardio X yesterday night.

Ouch!

I am starting out at 213 pounds and 5'-5" with a calorie restricted diet (~1500 to 1800/day) and a 40/40 fat/muscle ratio. She, the wife, won't disclose her weight but she gave birth to a second child 10 months ago.

Ouch!

A gym just isn't in the cards for us with our lifestyle and current financial obligations.

I knew I was overweight (duh) but, I never realized until starting this just how stiff and inflexible my body had become.

Did I mention how badly I hurt?

Damn Gila! Keep at it and keep us posted on how it progresses!

For those interested in seeing more about the program, or in need of inspiration, check out :

http://www.90dayreview.com/2008/08/25/90-day-review-day-1-chestbackab-ripper-x/

He catalogs the whole process and takes a lot of videos throughout- I haven't started P90x yet, but read it all while I was bored on the night shift...hoping to start soon!

I am starting out at 213 pounds and 5'-5" with a calorie restricted diet (~1500 to 1800/day) and a 40/40 fat/muscle ratio. She, the wife, won't disclose her weight but she gave birth to a second child 10 months ago.
I'd really suggest you consider keeping your caloric intake closer to 2000, if not a little higher, around 2300. If you go too low you risk slowing your metabolism and your body burning muscle, rather than fat for energy. You could easily add 300-400 calories of vegetables and lean protein to keep your metabolism running at max efficiency.

I'd really suggest you consider keeping your caloric intake closer to 2000, if not a little higher, around 2300. If you go too low you risk slowing your metabolism and your body burning muscle, rather than fat for energy. You could easily add 300-400 calories of vegetables and lean protein to keep your metabolism running at max efficiency.

You are right there. Hadn't thought about it really. The calorie targets were based on sedentary activity and with this, activity is definitely NOT sedentary. To be honest, I stopped counting a while ago I just hadn't stopped eating similarly than when I was counting.

Took a break from P90 last night after realizing the next session was Shoulders and Arms with Ab Ripper. It was the ripper part that scared me I think. Feel better now after a days break and plan to pick it back up tonight.

do you guys actually do the yoga or replace it with something else? holding those pushup postitions/downward dog/other one where you go down/foward is killer

I wish I had time to get motivated about starting it again.

My schedule is awful and I have no time to work out.. Im almost 250lbs and 6'4".

Monday - Friday Work: 7am - 4pm
Monday - Wednesday: School: 5pm 10pm
Home @ roughly 11pm .. just in time to do homework for the next night and get to
bed at around 12:00-12:30 and start over.
Thursdays and Friay: I try to work on my speeches for my web speech class and catch up on housework. Weekends I mostly sleep to catch up for the next week.

do you guys actually do the yoga or replace it with something else? holding those pushup postitions/downward dog/other one where you go down/foward is killer

I'm toward the end of week two and considering replacing the yoga stuff. I do like the stretching and have already noticed significant flexibility improvements.

Yesterday was yoga, I quit about 50 min in (90 min holy cow!). I did the 6 pushups routines from the chest and back video instead.

Also, have you guys seen this: The Daily Plate? I've been using it the last few weeks to nail down my carb: protein:fat calorie ratio. I wish it didn't count fiber and sugar alcohols as carbs though.

Yoga will take you at least 6 weeks to get comfortable. It is WELL worth it. It has become my favorite part of P90X. Stick with it, don't let it beat ya.

didnt read the thread but

heard this is a great system but abuses the **** out of your body - over works it like a 'mofo'

Wife and I are starting to talk about this again. I highly doubt we will be able to get ripped, and highly likely that we will do it for a short time only. But it's better than nothing. Basically all I am looking for at this point is a better diet and at least a little exercise. We're not terribly unhealthy, but I know we could both lose a few pounds and more importantly, we need more energy and something to do together. Problem is, neither of us enjoy any kind of workout.

I would be happier if we could find a physical sport that gives us a workout, that we both enjoy doing and can fit our schedule.

We did Power90 years back and it was a great workout, but totally kicked our asses back then. I'd be interested doing that sort of thing again.

didnt read the thread but

heard this is a great system but abuses the **** out of your body - over works it like a 'mofo'

I don't think so. For a moderately fit person, P90X will challenge you for sure, but not abuse you. Most of the muscle groups have plenty of rest. I actually end up doing more pushups halfway through the week because I am fully recovered and want to get them going - and I am no athlete.

If you aren't fit at all, P90X is probably too much - and they spell that out.

It beat me up only because im not in shape..The diet plan is pretty good.. i just wish it didnt cost so much in groceries for the healthier foods.

If I could go to McDonalds and get a $1.00 Turkey Burger instead of a $1.00 McDouble i would every time.

If you really want to get fit pick up New Rules of Lifting by Alwyn Cosgrove

http://www.amazon.com/dp/158333338X/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

You'll either need a Gym Membership or some free weights but it's worth it. I did P90/P90x for about 3 months and lost a lot of weight but then became seriously chicken legged. The lack of Squats and Deadlifts left me skinny on the bottom half and skinny but somewhat shredded on the top half. Once I switched to true lifting I beefed up(mostly diet) and looked much better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but....I hurt everywhere - in a good way:)

I started P90X 3.42857 weeks ago. I'm 39 and don't look horrible with a shirt on:cross:, but out of shape and generally sedentary. I got sick and tired of feeling like crap every time I "need" to do something physical out of the blue. Well, I'm almost done with phase 1 and I feel 1Billion times better already:mug:

I'm not sticking strictly to the diet plan, but I'm trying to do the right things with my diet - whole wheat, no sugary junk foods, small portions, healthy snacking, etc.

It's working like a charm so far. I can't see all that much of a difference in the mirror yet, but my clothes don't fit quite right any more and the tape measure says progress is being made. My resting heart rate is down about 10 bpm.

By the way, the "before" photo I took was all the motivation I needed. Camera is way more of a bastard than the mirror:eek: Plus, that recovery drink is an excellent reward for finishing a workout. I really like that stuff. Time to reorder.

My buddy is going to let me borrow his 1st session once he moves onto week 4. I'm never done a workout routine before and am sure this will kill me. I am nowhere near over weight, but am quite lazy and out of shape.

SWMBO and I just started week 5. I feel a lot better than when I started, my love handles are noticably smaller, and my pants are fitting a little looser, but I haven't lost weight yet. I guess some weight is moving from fat to muscle. I'm pretty exhausted each night and have been sleeping pretty well.

I used to work out at the gym a good bit, and I don't think P90X will bulk me up like the gym did, but it's great being able to do the same program with my wife.

I already eat pretty well, aside from the beer consumption, so I haven't been following the diet plan, and I didn't buy any recovery drinks or anything. I'm planning to find some whey protien online or something for post-workout. Once we finish the first 90 days, I'll start at the beginning again, maybe do the doubles if I can find time.

My buddy is going to let me borrow his 1st session once he moves onto week 4. I'm never done a workout routine before and am sure this will kill me. I am nowhere near over weight, but am quite lazy and out of shape.

It will wipe you out the first few days.

By week 2 you will have better range of motion and be able to do more reps.

We quit by week 3 or 4. Keep talking about starting it back up but never do.

Yeah, I think you might be dead.... Just sayin'

Did you guys all get pull-up bars to do this? That is the one handicap I think be having. I'm in decent shape but I wanna trim off some more fat....

I got the bar but have never used it. I forget what we did instead.

Yeah, I think you might be dead.... Just sayin'

Did you guys all get pull-up bars to do this? That is the one handicap I think be having. I'm in decent shape but I wanna trim off some more fat....

I bought the pull-up bar, but I'm pretty terrible at it. I do as many pull-ups as I can, then switch to bands. I'm getting better, but I can't do enough to feel like I worked the muscles properly.

Plus, the bar sits in the doorway, so I can reach the floor with my feet. I think it would be better to have a higher bar, but that isn't an option.

SWMBO and I just started week 5. I feel a lot better than when I started, my love handles are noticably smaller, and my pants are fitting a little looser, but I haven't lost weight yet. I guess some weight is moving from fat to muscle. I'm pretty exhausted each night and have been sleeping pretty well.

I used to work out at the gym a good bit, and I don't think P90X will bulk me up like the gym did, but it's great being able to do the same program with my wife.

I already eat pretty well, aside from the beer consumption, so I haven't been following the diet plan, and I didn't buy any recovery drinks or anything. I'm planning to find some whey protien online or something for post-workout. Once we finish the first 90 days, I'll start at the beginning again, maybe do the doubles if I can find time.

My SWMBO and I are a few days behind you. I've also noticed clothes fitting looser, but haven't lost weight either - only about a pound so far.

SWMBO is switching to the cardio version for week 5 to the end.

I am starting week 2 today and I have to tell you.. those DVD's kicked my A$$. I was sore all weekend. The foods not as bad as I thought. The breakfast scrambles arent really my favorite though.. too many egg whites.

If you know how to follow a workout eating and supplementing plan, it's pretty simple to do without their products. Keep healthy snacks like almonds around and if you know how to build yourself a 40-40-20 plan, do it. 4-6 meals a day as previously mentioned and lots of chicken, fish, bison, etc.

Anyways.

The best tips I have given to friends who have tried this are:

1) Do the abs video before the daily workouts if you want to try to get it all done in one session. Hip flexors and stabilizers won't hold up otherwise, especially early on.

2) DO NOT skip the stretching and Yoga. I was skeptical of the yoga but it quickly became one of my favorites. Most men are not nearly flexible enough and while I am pretty flexible, the focus on hip flexibility helped tremendously with what is otherwise a chronic back issue. And it is no joke, definitely hard but you don't feel nearly as stupid with it after a few weeks and getting all the moves down. The first few sessions you'll feel like a wet noodle flopping around.

3) Get a heart rate monitor. I was working in a WAY too high heart zone for plyo and really had to monitor myself to keep within proper training range

4) Listen to your body. Muscle soreness and recovery soreness are one thing, but with the repetitive pushups and the plyo, you can very easily develop tendonitis or other issues that will put you on the shelf for longer if you don't recognize and account for them before they really flare up.

Good luck, I loved it and everyone I know that has done it has had great results, but you definitely need to have the time and determination to get it done.

I bought the pull-up bar, but I'm pretty terrible at it. I do as many pull-ups as I can, then switch to bands. I'm getting better, but I can't do enough to feel like I worked the muscles properly.

Plus, the bar sits in the doorway, so I can reach the floor with my feet. I think it would be better to have a higher bar, but that isn't an option.

I'm 6'3" and have it mounted in the floor joists from the basement and can still touch. I made it work, but it is not ideal.

And to start I made a goal of doing 10 reps no matter what. I would do as many free pullups as possible and then have the chair there to help me reach 10.

I went from doing only a 1-2 free per set at the start to doing 10 free per set at the end and I have quite long arms and have always sucked at pullups, so I was amazed at the progress.

Don't worry about not losing weight at first. You're moving it to better places! Muscle weighs more than fat and most people will initially actually GAIN a little weight unless they are on a carb-free diet in unison. The reason they carb-starve you in the p90x plan is just so you lose some weight initially and keep you motivated. Otherwise there really is no reason to carb-starve you when you are burning 1000+ calories circuit training every day.

40-40-20 protein-carb-fat is a great lean-out diet in a workout like this. And make sure you're getting complex carbs and lots of fiber and skipping the crappy simple sugars and carbs.

It will wipe you out the first few days.

By week 2 you will have better range of motion and be able to do more reps.

We quit by week 3 or 4. Keep talking about starting it back up but never do.

LOL!

The end of week 1 has to be the most exhausted and sore I have ever felt in my life.

If anyone is not using it I would love to buy/borrow your DVD's and give it a shot.

I did the program a while ago and loved it. I will be starting up again this Summer. I haven't done much except pushups and pullups since finishing (Armstrong pullup program)

One word of advice: Careful with your knees! I overworked them on plyo one day, pretty late in the program. The next day was legs/back I think? I must have had bad form on my lunges because of the soreness, cause I made them much worse. I had to substitute biking for both workouts for a few weeks.

I did the program a while ago and loved it. I will be starting up again this Summer. I haven't done much except pushups and pullups since finishing (Armstrong pullup program)

One word of advice: Careful with your knees! I overworked them on plyo one day, pretty late in the program. The next day was legs/back I think? I must have had bad form on my lunges because of the soreness, cause I made them much worse. I had to substitute biking for both workouts for a few weeks.

This was my biggest issue with this program. The amount of lower body work was a lot but there were no incorporation of heavy lifts for them.

My brother started week 4 or 5 Sunday and he's been following it to the letter. He likes it and I started crossfit so we could compare the workouts and results. Neither one of us can do pull ups with out a chair or bands. He is really watching his diet and I have been changing mine a little. Not sure how much weight he dropped, but I dropped 8lbs and we are both getting fit. I wish I could workout everyday but going to take a couple weeks to get my out of shape a$$ back to that level. 2 on 1 off but my bro on p90x is still going strong everyday.

This was my biggest issue with this program. The amount of lower body work was a lot but there were no incorporation of heavy lifts for them.

There were quite a few opportunities to use heavier free weights during lung or squat moves and you could dial back your reps as needed. Hence, I don't get this comment at all. My calves were huge at the end of a p90x cycle and my hammies and glutes were in great shape. A vast majority of people do NOT need bulk in those areas.

If you are expecting to be power lifting and 400 lbs on a squat rack, p90x isn't for you in the first place.

I had a buddy who did it to the letter. He lost 40 lbs (from 240lbs) and I have seen him do 20 chin-ups in a row. I did a week or so of it and decided it wasn't for me. Though the plyometrics and the abb workouts are fantastic. Also the yoga, don't brush that off. I found that difficult.

I recently got the MensHealth big book of excersises and am doing one of those workouts with good results. I generally run about 20miles a week and was just looking for some cross training stuff.

I ended up getting fat again. I have gained back the 25 lbs I lost and I want to start this again but I get up at 6am go to work then leave at 4 pm to go to school and make it home by 10-11pm. After that I eat dinner then do homework until midnight and get some sleep to repeat again the next day. I don't have an hour and a half to dedicate to working out anymore. I gotta find someway to lose he weight. I started eating less again to put me in the right direction.

I ended up getting fat again. I have gained back the 25 lbs I lost and I want to start this again but I get up at 6am go to work then leave at 4 pm to go to school and make it home by 10-11pm. After that I eat dinner then do homework until midnight and get some sleep to repeat again the next day. I don't have an hour and a half to dedicate to working out anymore. I gotta find someway to lose he weight. I started eating less again to put me in the right direction.

I can sympathize with not having time, that sounds like a fairly rough schedule. I have made a point lately to MAKE the time to exercise, whether it be on lunch breaks or otherwise. Recently I cut back on my calories and started running 4 miles everyday- Yesterday when I got home from my last lab I had been sitting in front of a computer for the past 2+ using 100% brain power and I was whooped. But I went through the motions of getting ready and by the time I got back from my run I felt about 20 times better. I ended up doing 3 hours worth of homework because I had brought back my energy. Whereas if I had simply eaten dinner and sat down to try and work I would have drifted off or been unproductive. Taking that 30 min out of my day to run has been very worth it.

I am on week 2. Week 1 was a killer. The second week already feels easier. I am using bands only. I do feel like I am missing out not having a pullup bar. I will probably purchase one next week.

Latest posts

Back