belgian dark small ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slim chillingsworth

Reaction score
i'm toying around with the idea of a small version of the belgian dark strong category. basically i would take something like a quad and halve the gravity. i feel like quads can often be cloying and hot, so a smaller version might be able to retain some of the complexity without becoming overbearing. i'm still looking at an OG of around 1.050 so i can't imagine that the recipe will seem watered down.

usually the dark strongs have around 5-10% sugar, but i think i should keep this on the lower end for some residual sweetness. i feel like an FG of 1.015-20 or so would be nice. maybe 3-4% sugar?

i'd love to hear some feedback on the idea. here's a brainstormed recipe (using vanguard because i have almost a pound on hand). it's basically a westy 12 clone i found with the gravity dropped down to 1.050:

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.78 %
Bitterness: 17.8 IBU
Est Color: 19.2 SRM

10.49 lb Pilsner (2 Row) Bel (2.0 SRM) Grain 84.34 %
0.60 lb Caramunich Malt (56.0 SRM) Grain 4.82 %
0.26 lb Biscuit Malt (23.0 SRM) Grain 2.12 %
0.19 lb Aromatic Malt (26.0 SRM) Grain 1.49 %
0.15 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM) Grain 1.20 %
0.60 lb Candi Sugar, Dark (275.0 SRM) Sugar 4.82 %
0.15 lb Candi Sugar, Amber (75.0 SRM) Sugar 1.20 %

1.00 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (60 min) Hops 15.5 IBU
0.25 oz Vanguard [5.50 %] (20 min) Hops 2.3 IBU

I made a belgian chocolate beer that is fantastic...

I was thinking I'd skip the caramunich and go for chocolate malt instead... but you'll probably appreciate the extra maltiness from the caramunich in a small beer... so that's probably a good call.

I might skip the biscuit malt though...

This is an interesting idea! The last time I tried something like this, I brewed a Quad and got another beer out of the second runnings almost exactly like this. ;)

Anyway, I think you're on the right track, though I find your grist a bit too complicated. I'd swap the Biscuit and Aromatic for more CaraMunich. I think that'll provide a quite flavorful grist without overcomplication.

Your hops schedule is perfect. Thank you for not doing the American thing and overhopping everything in sight. ;)

Cheers,

Bob

thanks for the feedback. there's always such a balance in belgian styles between depth and simplicity. i think you're right about simplifying the grain bill. like i said, it's basically half a westy clone. i was going to keep tweaking it alongside my copy of brew like a monk.

i'll also be avoiding the candi syrups and going for homemade.

Bob- how did you like your second runnings beer? any tasting notes?

It was more like a strong Mild than anything. Firmly established on the malt side of the ledger, the beer had sweet malt in the fore, with just enough bitterness cutting the malt in the back. I think it important that it didn't finish too low in gravity or too dry; I fermented it with Ardennes and kept it on the cool side. I also used no sugar.

I have to admit it wasn't wildly popular; it was more interesting as an experiment than as a stand-alone beer.

Good luck!

Bob

Latest posts

Back