Is this New York law for real?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warriorcoach

Reaction score
Was looking through some Kickstarter campaigns and saw one about a hop farm and they had this in the description.

"New laws for NYS micro brewed beer at this point in time require 20% of hops to be sourced from NY. In 4 years this percentage rises to 60%, and in 9 years this percentages rises to a staggering 90%."

Sounds freaking nuts to me. Won't there be some varieties that will not even be able to be grown in NY because of the climate?What in the world is the purpose behind this law?

Just looked at the law...its intended for breweries that have a farm-brewery license...not a regular brewing license. Either way the point of the law is to bring economic growth to the state...obviously Cuomo sees the potential for craft brewing and ingredients in the state.

Nothing the state of New York does surprises me. The further east you go in the US, the more liberal it seems to become (California being the exception, as it's on the West Coast).

It appears to apply to brewers who are seeking a "Farm Brewery" license in NY. It's a truth-in-labeling law that allows the brewer to label it as "New York State" beer.

Sounds fair to me.

Looks legit. I'm a fan of truth in labeling.

I agree with you both! For once I see something that helps if you want the farm/brewery incentives but if not, then so be it. You're not being punished for not participating which is what I was concerned about before reading it.

That sounds like something the NYS Legislature would be dumb enough to enact.

I looked it up: It's for real. They are tax incentives, not mandates:

https://www.governor.ny.gov/news/governor-cuomo-signs-legislation-strengthen-and-support-new-yorks-craft-breweries

I Have a friend with a farm, time to plant some hops, barley and build a brewery.

Get planting. It is the best legislation to come out of Albany.
We have a local hop farm and he got the license.
He makes some good brews.http://westtownbrewworks.com
It is the easiest way in NY to get a brewery license.

Sorry if someone thought I was posting rubbish. I clearly stated I read it in a kickstarter campaign and quoted directly from that campaign. Makes sense if it is for farm breweries and labeled as "New York State" beer. I knew some people on here would know the real deal on the law. Thanks to all who chimed in. Looks like I will not be kicking in to the farms kickstarter since the owners don't even know the law and application of it.

Truth in advertising is a good thing, but who enforces it? off topic .... was at a local store saw a whole ribeye on sale in packers cryovac. Label said born raised harvested in USA, but turn package over and printed on the cryovac was "product of Mexico" Went and asked management and no one in store could answer where that cow came from

For a messed up, overtaxed, over-regulated state, NY is actually encouraging craft brew. They've "sped up" the licensing process to only a couple of years. I think I read that there are plans for a craft brew incubator on Long Island. More better beer.

Nothing the state of New York does surprises me. The further east you go in the US, the more liberal it seems to become (California being the exception, as it's on the West Coast).

Thanks for this. I keep getting confused as to where CA is. Curious why you're concerned with NY or CA when you live in MI.

One of the unique constructs of these United States is State Legislators creating incentives to promote economic activity within their border in competition with their fellow members of the country. That's why taxpayers support Stadium plans to give team owners a break.

Upside down world.

Truth in advertising is a good thing, but who enforces it? off topic .... was at a local store saw a whole ribeye on sale in packers cryovac. Label said born raised harvested in USA, but turn package over and printed on the cryovac was "product of Mexico" Went and asked management and no one in store could answer where that cow came from

Depends if the FDA has the resources to investigate, and then, only if someone reports it.
CSB: Several years ago, a local TV station here did an investigative piece where they analyzed fish served in several local restaurants as "walleye." Walleye is the state fish of MN, and people here take it seriously. Turns out, some of the restaurants were serving imported zander, which is very similar and tastes the same, but it was advertised as "walleye." The FDA later investigated, but the publicity from the story probably hit those restaurants harder.

Depends if the FDA has the resources to investigate, and then, only if someone reports it.
CSB: Several years ago, a local TV station here did an investigative piece where they analyzed fish served in several local restaurants as "walleye." Walleye is the state fish of MN, and people here take it seriously. Turns out, some of the restaurants were serving imported zander, which is very similar and tastes the same, but it was advertised as "walleye." The FDA later investigated, but the publicity from the story probably hit those restaurants harder.

Around here they call it walleye but its actually pollack. If they claim to have bluegill/crappie it is tilapia. In Illinois restaurants aren't allowed to sell game fish that can be caught in the state. Thats why you can find cat or carp but no real bass bluegill crappie or walleye.

Latest posts

Back