First infected batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leadpencil

Reaction score
I am not sure what happened with this beer. Its a habenero wheat.
The beer looks, smells, and tastes good, not as spicy as I was hoping for, but after drinking a half pint I get violently ill. This has happened twice now. The first time I chalked it up to some bad fish I had eaten.
Has anyone had something like this? I was thinking about bringing a sample to work and looking at it under the microscope.

I am not sure what happened with this beer. Its a habenero wheat.
The beer looks, smells, and tastes good, not as spicy as I was hoping for, but after drinking a half pint I get violently ill. This has happened twice now. The first time I chalked it up to some bad fish I had eaten.
Has anyone had something like this? I was thinking about bringing a sample to work and looking at it under the microscope.

I've drank infected beers that had no damage other than to my pride.

it depends what you mean by violently ill.

i lived in mexico for 5 years. they have a saying there, "so hot it burned twice." eerily similar to what i'm assuming your "violently ill" implies.

I love hot.peppers so it's not that. Like I said it wasn't spicy. Last night I was vomiting for 3 hours after having half a pint.

I love hot.peppers so it's not that. Like I said it wasn't spicy. Last night I was vomiting for 3 hours after having half a pint.

when you're eating a hot pepper, you're getting all of the hot pepperiness only. when you're drinking a beer with hot peppers, there's plenty of scientific **** going on with why it might not taste as hot as just the normal hot pepper.

if it tasted fine, smelled fine, etc. it's not infected.

aka, either you ate some bad ****. or it's the peppers.

It might have just been there was too much yeast still in suspension.

Edit: or something separated and settled out on the bottom.

Too late now, but I was going to suggest waiting two weeks to try it again. Getting ill could have been in combination with something else going on.

Infected beer doesn't make you vomit. Especially if it smells and tastes ok. If you said it smelled like poop, and tasted like it too that's a different story. If getting sick was a worry few people would homebrew. I would say it was the peppers. More there than your taste buds could tell.

Hate to break it to you, but from the sound of it, you've developed a beer allergy.

Everything I had read has said that stuff that is dangerous to us cannot survive a 3%+ ABV environment.

As painful as it was to vomit like that, dumping it was far less. I will try it again. The local brewery does a jalapeño wheat, he said that he cleans and soaks the peppers in vodka for a couple of months.

Latest posts

Back