Why is everyone only into IPA's

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey I figured as much I was just curious if everyone else only brewed IPA's I myself love IPA's I probably brew them 50% of the time although the more I brew the more I realize it is just as hard if not harder to create and brew a successful stout, brown, amber ect..... Anyways I love IPA's I think for myself I am just ready to start doing different stuff.

I agree I love hops but not hops that are all of the beer. I always first wort hop my IPA's I also do a lot of late small additions for aromas. My favorite hops for IPA's are Chinook,citra and simcoe

Let me consult my notebook - these are what I have brewed so far, and what I have planned through December:

an amber ale
a barleywine
an IPA
a blonde
an Oktoberfest ale
a stout
a dark winter ale
an Irish red
an APA
a rye ESB
a nut-brown ale
and finally on the end of the year, another IPA

Admittedly, it's the only style I will brew twice, all year long. I can live with that.

:D

One more thing -

Once you acquire a taste for IPA's going back to less aggressive brews is disappointing. I used to like Stella Artois - had one the other day and it tasted like Coors Light to my pallet:D

That's like saying why is everyone into blonde women....they aren't. Your highlight real may include a heavy majority of them but a smokin hot brunette asking for some company will undoubtedly make the cut.

IPAs are one of the few styles that I usually enjoy around the year. During the winter I'll usually drink a lot more stouts, porters, etc. as well as whiskey but will always have 1 or 2 IPAs kicking around my fridge. In the summer I tend to transition away from darker beers and whiskey and drink mostly pale ales and IPAs. I think a lot of this has to do with the wide variety of hops that can lend very different flavors to very simple malt bills. It's hard to get burned out on IPAs or any hop forward style if you're using different hops IMO.

I was on the IPA kick for a couple years, got burnt out on hops and brew nothing but malty lagers now. I think I'll stick to lagers for the most part in the future.

You need a bigger mash tun bigger boil kettle and lots more ingredients lol. I usually brew 10-12 gallon batches

You need a bigger mash tun bigger boil kettle and lots more ingredients lol. I usually brew 10-12 gallon batches

That disqualifies you. You haven't got the 15gallon stare. Remember no scale nonsense.

Sorry recent nonsense post that seems appropriate in this "Why does everyone like x thread" of which the there are a batrilliozillion.

What is so much harder about a 15 gallon batch over a 10? it is just bigger equipment not really anything else expect obviously scaling your recipe to fit the boil size and having the right amount of fermenters

Brewing a 15-gallon batch for the first time is like going Super-Saiyan for the first time. Just pure badassery.

Brewing your first 15-gallon batch as an IPA, SS2...

:p

Making an ipa with 5 hops, MT hood centennial US fuggles cascade and Chinook. Going to transfer to a secondary. Should I dry hop more cascades?

If you want a lot of aroma. I'd add hops every 5 minutes after the 20 minute mark and at flame out. I'd dry hop with cascades 2 ounces

Love IPAs that are nice big mouthfuls of hop juice but the really dry ones that seem more and more common these days are getting on my nerves. You get a wonderful burst of hop flavor and then a big empty hole where all the other flavor should be.

I'd like to know more about brewing 15 gallon IPA's. Big IPA's in other words. What are the things I need to look into. No scale nonsense now. I only want to hear from folks who have

a: brewed 15 gallon IPA's

b: have a refined and/or expanded pallet

c: thumb their noses at <90IBU beers

Make another thread then hijacker.

I love IPA's but I like them to be balanced. I really love the new stone ruination that's how I prefer my IPA's balanced yet hoppy and slightly malty

Making an ipa with 5 hops, MT hood centennial US fuggles cascade and Chinook. Going to transfer to a secondary. Should I dry hop more cascades?

Added half of the hops 15 minutes before the end of the boil then dry hopped the rest. Used fresh off the bine cascades and Chinooks 3oz each. Should be very interesting how it's going to taste . And this will be the first time using a secondary. Any advice on how to transfer from secondary to bottle?

Your friends need to get with the times. Now everybody is all about sours and gose and session beers. Get ahead of tomorrow's trend and start brewing an organic kale Pennsylvania Swankey today!

I am one of those who can appreciate what goes into a sour, and I can detect what is considered a good sour, but I just can't stand to drink them.

Cascade barrel house in PDX does some pretty amazing sours. Between 4 of us, we ordered 6 or so tasters. I sipped every single one of them. I could appreciate what they did, but there was no way I would order a pint or even snifter of one of those beers.

I really liked their burbonic plague, and it was the one I could see myself drinking if I "had" to, but I'd probably have a hard time finishing anything over 2oz of the stuff in a sitting.

If dry hopping I'd wait until fermentation is complete than transfer into a secondary and add the hops. Make sure you dont splash the beer or do anything to oxygenate the beer. I would purge the secondary with co2 prior to transfering and if your dry hopping good luck with clarity you'd be better off adding gelatin to clear the beer up

I'm pretty sure that everyone isn't into just IPA's. If they are, how sad for them, because there is a whole world of flavors out there in the realm of beer. Personally, I love just about any beer that's well balanced in terms of hops and malt flavor. I've tried a few palate wreckers like Stone Brewing's Arrogant Bastard, but just couldn't get past the overwhelming amount of hop bitterness. :drunk:

IPA's are great I can do hop bombs but I prefer a balanced floral IPA. The yeast is very important in hop character in a beer as well

The IPA craze is one of the steps I will be highlighting in my upcoming Masters Thesis paper and submission to HomeBrewTalks articles collection, "The steps of Beer Appreciation".

It is a pendulum swing...the Macro-beer drinkers get sick of the watery, fizzy, tasteless swill, and they discover a different kind of beer, usually a Sam Adams, sometimes a Hacker-Pschorr. I call these the "gateway-beers". This leads them on a journey, and often this journey takes them on the pendulum swing down the path of the IPA simply due to the hunger for massive flavor. Over time, their tastes evolve and they discover various Stouts, Porters, Barley wines, Imperial IPAS, Sours, Belgian Ales, and more as they mature through the appreciation of the cornucopia that is beer.

Need to add Fat Tire to your gateway beers as they got to many small town midwest places before Sam.

What is so much harder about a 15 gallon batch over a 10? it is just bigger equipment not really anything else expect obviously scaling your recipe to fit the boil size and having the right amount of fermenters

Make another thread then hijacker.

Never mind lads, enjoy your "why are IPA's so (insert descriptive) thread.

I'll get my coat...

Never mind lads, enjoy your "why are IPA's so (insert descriptive) thread.

I'll get my coat...

I can't tell if you're making fun of the jackass from that 15 gallon batch thread or if you're also a jackass.

Back