HERMS MLT Intake Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwb445

Reaction score
Guys - I am making a HERMS setup, but want to still use my rectangular MLT. Does anyone know of any threads or have any ideas on the best way to make a re-circulation intake on the top of the cooler?

Cheers!

Hmmm, before answering your question, I'm not sure I understand your intention. Normally you'd pull from the bottom of your MLT (e.g. via a falsebottom and valve), run it through the HERMS then return it back to the top of the MLT. This ensures a consistent temp throughout the mash. So you're planning on pulling from the top of the grain bed? And returning where?

Hmmm, before answering your question, I'm not sure I understand your intention. Normally you'd pull from the bottom of your MLT (e.g. via a falsebottom and valve), run it through the HERMS then return it back to the top of the MLT. This ensures a consistent temp throughout the mash. So you're planning on pulling from the top of the grain bed? And returning where?

No, I am pulling from the bottom, running through the HERMS, then back into the MLT. But I need a bulkhead/ball valve (or some other option) on the top to hook a QD too to drain the wort back into the MLT.

Ok cool. I was worried when you said "intake" you meant you were pulling from the top, but it sounds like you're looking for ideas on how to build the return.

Here's a pic of what I used for a return. I just punched a hole in the lid and used a PVC electrical fitting as a bushing. I added thumbscrews so I could adjust for varying grain bed heights. Hoses attach via camlock fitting and the other end uses a siphon sprayer (gently sprinkles the returning mash liquor).
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1436586464.153935.jpg

Ok cool. I was worried when you said "intake" you meant you were pulling from the top, but it sounds like you're looking for ideas on how to build the return.

Here's a pic of what I used for a return. I just punched a hole in the lid and used a PVC electrical fitting as a bushing. I added thumbscrews so I could adjust for varying grain bed heights. Hoses attach via camlock fitting and the other end uses a siphon sprayer (gently sprinkles the returning mash liquor).
View attachment 289480

This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!

Back