disassembling racking tube

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trainfever

Reaction score
When you bottle your brew, do you take the syphon hose off of the racking tube afterwards or leave them together? I was trying to get the hose off the racking tube and the tube snapped, slicing my thumb.

Ouch! I hope it's not too bad of a cut.

I usually do disassemble the racking cane and tubing when I clean it. It is MUCH easier to do when you use hot water and the tubing then just slides right off. I clean it well, hang up to dry and then put it all back in the cleaned bucket to store it.

YooperBrew said:
It is MUCH easier to do when you use hot water and the tubing then just slides right off.
+1, hot water makes tubing MUCH easier to manage. With that said, I never take the tubing off the racking cane when cleaning. It's such a tight fit I never see any wort/beer seeping in there, so I don't worry about it.

I'd say 'it couldn't hurt to disassemble and clean it each time', but I suppose that'd be a terrible pun given your recent catastrophe ;) But seriously, hope it heals up alright.

I've never taken them apart. I blast the whole thing with hot water...into the bleach water solution of the shop sink for 10 seconds and then another rinse and hang it up to dry.

Never...EVER had and infection.

Back