My simple TOP HERMS system

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sktaaron

Reaction score
I have been on this forum for a little while lurking around, but I have never posted anything. I figured I would share my system since I haven't seen any other systems set up like this.
11781766_1038005059550459_944089778731159541_n.jpg

It is pretty simple, I have a 10 gallon cooler as my mash tun, 8.5 gal HLT, and 15 gal boil kettle. I recirculate the wort through a HERMS coil, that used to by my old wort chiller and I have the TOP temperature sensor measuring after the HERMS coil. The TOP turns the burner off and on depending on the wort temperature, not the HLT temperature. I have to shoot for about 1 degree higher then mash temp and it stays consistent and stable. When I mash out I use gravity to drain into the boil kettle and use the pump to sparge. One downside is that you have to lift a full brew kettle onto the burner. It's not an issue for me since I'm young and I'm in good shape despite all the beer I drink.

I used quick disconnect fittings everywhere and I made it so I can move the temp sensor anywhere. It’s really nice because I put it on my 15 gal boil kettle that I use to initially heat the sparge and mash water. I will set the temp and recirculate the water and not worry about over shooting the temp while I am preparing other things.

My setup is not fancy by any means, at least compared to a lot of the setups on here. I built it from equipment I have collected over time, it is pretty simple system, and it works great for me. Just thought I would share it on here for everyone.

Back