How long will cracked grain stay fresh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottyBones

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I ordered and received an AG kit from NB the other day, and today I was just hired to start a new out-of-state job the first week of December. I'm concerned that i wont have enough time to complete the whole process from boil to bottle in that time. So i'm wondering if i can put off the brew day until that time without wasting the ingredients i have.

Q1: How long can cracked grain stay usable?

Q2: What is the best way to preserve it until use?

Thanks

What kind of kit is it? I could give ya 20 bucks for it if you don't want to deal with it durring the move. :) I live in midtown, Ga Tech campus area.

How long will uncracked grains last, in the sealed plastic bag, which is stored inside one of those airtight, clamped grain storage bins?

In my opinion, just go ahead and brew late in November. Leave your brew in the primary while you are gone then bottle it when you get back. It will actually improve your beer leaving it on the trub for a bit. 6 weeks seems to be the suggested max in the primary though. totally up to you. Best of luck.
:mug:

Latest posts

Back