Mill Replacement

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechbd

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing my first AG brew and I was wondering if there was something I can use besides a mill to crush all the grains? I dont have one and neither does my local home brew shop. I have done several PM brews where I just crushed the grains with a rolling pin. Would this work for an AG brew or not?

bechbd said:
I was thinking about doing my first AG brew and I was wondering if there was something I can use besides a mill to crush all the grains? I dont have one and neither does my local home brew shop. I have done several PM brews where I just crushed the grains with a rolling pin. Would this work for an AG brew or not?

I guess if you have maybe a full day to bash.

it takes me 20 minutes with a corona style mill for 10 lbs of grain.
i would not want to use a rolling pin!

I DID use a rolling pin(a giant 10lb'er)on my first AG.10lbs of 2-row.Not only did it take a ton of effort and a loooong time,the grind was so crappy that i barely got 50%efficiency.The beer actually turned out great taste-wise but was low alcohol.I immediately went out and bought a mill.So i guess,bottom line,given no choice,go for it!All's good in homebrewing:rockin: .
Cheers:mug:

P-BlahBlahBlonde
P-standing by......
S-AmberAlert
S-IslandPaleAle
S-Schwheat!
On deck-YeOldeAle,NitanotherEnglishBrown
Bottled/Aging/Drinking-6 others

I wouldn't use a rolling pin either as I think your efficiency would be poor. Why not just purchase crushed grain from another place that will do it for you unless you can afford a mill.

My only issue with purchasing from another store is that it seems a bit ridiculous to pay 10 dollars for some grains and 10 to ship it. I live in montana and there is only one store around here.

I can truly relate Bechbd!1$ a pound at least for shipping was killing me so i had to buy big to get that per# price down.AHS has great lower 48 rates.5.99 for unlimited weight.Just a thought:eek: .
Cheers:mug:

I can't believe that your local home brew shop doesn't have a grain mill.

I'm not a fan of the Corona mills but in this case I think you would do well to get one. They are inexpensive and will do a much better job than the rolling pin.:mug:

RichBrewer said:
I can't believe that your local home brew shop doesn't have a grain mill.

I'm not a fan of the Corona mills but in this case I think you would do well to get one. They are inexpensive and will do a much better job than the rolling pin.:mug:

There are anumber in my area that don't even carry grain, and the ones who do don't have a great variety due to the low number of people here doing AG.
There are two that do have a corona, but I bought my own so I could buy in bulk and save me bucks along with having an inventory of grain around on demand.

I have had great beers from my corona and haven't had a crush from a roller mill to see any difference between them.

I used to have a Corona style mill. It worked, but didn't give a consistent crush, and was very slow (compared to my current roller mill).

The good news is that the old mill is sitting in the basement looking for a good home.

PM or email me with your address, and I'll send it to you providing you live in USA.

-a.

I pride myself on going cheap as possible, adapting equipment for brewing, keeping things simple. But one area not to scrimp is on a mill. Buy the best you can afford and you will be happy you did. I received a Barley Crusher for Christmas last year. Best present I ever got in my life.

ajf said:
PM or email me with your address, and I'll send it to you providing you live in USA.

-a.

Now that's what this HB community is all about. You're a good man, ajf!

Back