Substituting for Crystal 60

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayhoz

Reaction score
My LHBS was out of Crystal 60. The kid working suggested that I substitute a mixture of Crystal 20 and Crystal 40. That isn't right is it? Wouldn't a substitution for 60 need to be equal parts 40 and 80, or do they not average like that?

jayhoz said:
My LHBS was out of Crystal 60. The kid working suggested that I substitute a mixture of Crystal 20 and Crystal 40. That isn't right is it? Wouldn't a substitution for 60 need to be equal parts 40 and 80, or do they not average like that?

I'd agree with your assesment. It isn't going to matter much though.

Technically, 60L is going to be a bit different than a mix of 40L and 80L, but it'll be close enough unless you're trying to get REALLY specific with a recipe. They don't REALLY average out, but you'll still make good beer.

With the ammounts of crystal brewers generally use, yah, wont matter much... but 40 + 20 is not equal to 60 LOL

I'd say that subbing 10-20% more 40L would be closest to all 60. Once you get up into 80, you get more toasty/raisiny. It reminds me a bit of toasted raisin bread without the cinnamon.

Latest posts

Back