Changing my Ferm temp. HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jhonda00

Reaction score
Alright, I saw that my room was at 77*, so I put my carboy in a water bath with a few cold packs in there. It brought the temp down to 70, but I am fermenting in my bottling bucket which has a spigot, so I got nervous after about 12 hrs and took it out. Since I've moved it, It hasn't been bubbling. I opened the lid and there doesn't seem to be a lot of krausen. FYI, I pitched last night and put it in the water bath this morning. It was bubbling like crazy b4 I put it in the watar bath. Ever since then, it hasn't been bubbling.

PV=NRT (Look it up if you don't know it;))

Simply put, since you cooled it the contents shrunk, and it might have actually tried to suck back in through the air lock. Then you took the lid off and released any pressure that might have built up inside, so it might take a while to build up enough pressure to bubble again, or it might not bubble at all! Remember: airlock activity does not relate to fermentation!

Check a gravity reading, It could already be done fermenting. If its not, give it more time. The chances of getting the water bath to backflow into the spigot would be very slim. I would expect it more from your airlock.

Back