Advice on priming and bottling higher gravity Irish Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsscram

Reaction score
I made my first stout about a week and half ago. I got my effecincy problem fix and now i got a stout that had a 1.083 SG. Racked to the secondary at 1.029 been there a 1/2 week. I used White labs Edinburgh ale yeast WLP028. Would you do anything special, or differant when I bottle and prime from the norm?

thanks

You should be good to go. That yeast will have no problem handling that alc. level and carbonating.
If you were to keep it in secondary for a looooong time you might need to add yeast at bottling, but not for such a short time.

yep, if you let it condition in secondary for a good while, you can pitch some dry, neutral yeast a day or two before you plan to bottle. if not, you'll be fine.

jjsscram said:
I made my first stout about a week and half ago. I got my effecincy problem fix and now i got a stout that had a 1.083 SG. Racked to the secondary at 1.029 been there a 1/2 week. I used White labs Edinburgh ale yeast WLP028. Would you do anything special, or differant when I bottle and prime from the norm?

thanks
I'm drinking a scotch ale now that used WSP028. It started at 1.083 and finished at 1.022. Twelve days in the primary, 18 days in the secondary, and it carbonated fine...I don't think you'll need to add any additional yeast. :cool:

Back