Secondary necessary for a honey wheat?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Captain Tex

Reaction score
I just got all of my equipment and Honey Wheat recipe kit in the mail yesterday! As I read through the instructions though, I noticed it says to ferment in the primary for a week, then siphon to secondary (where it clarifies for a week), then back to the primary (w/ priming solution) for bottling.

Is it necessary to move it to the secondary fermenter for a week or can I just leave it in the primary for two weeks instead?

The main reason I ask is because I think there's a problem with my bottling bucket (which I'd have to use as the primary if I'm doing it this way), and then I wouldn't be able to get started for another week or so.

Thanks!
CT

Not a problem - especially for a wheat beer that ferments out quickly and cloudiness is part of the style (usually).

To use or not use a "secondary fermentor" is somewhat controversial and also dependant on the style you are brewing and your techniques.

The secondary mainly clarifies the beer. A wheat beer is cloudy anyway, so a secondary is not absolutely necessary. That being said, I always do a secondary just to make sure I get most of the sediment to the bottom of the carboy and not in my bottle. I recommend you get a glass carboy as your secondary ( I use a bucket as my primary).

I usually secondary all of my beers except my wit's which always get ~3 weeks in the primary.

Back