Wyeast 1056 AND Safale 05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingmatt

Hop Addict
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just got my Midwest HopHead Double IPA kit in the mail and went with the Wyeast 1056 yeast option. As I was going through the ingredients to make sure everything was there, I noticed a pack of Safale US-05 dry yeast as well which wasn't mentioned in the description.

I am not sure if the additional yeast was a bank error in my favor or if Midwest means for me to double pitch since it is a higher ABV beer (nothing mentioned in the directions).

I am planning on making a starter for my 1056 but have never used dry yeast so I am a little unsure of how to proceed, if double pitching is reccommended. Should I rehydrate the dry yeast in water just prior to pitching and pitch it with my starter or should I just make a really big starter and add the Safale right in with they 1056? Also, will using two different types of yeast affect my beer at all?

Any help would be greatly appreciated :mug:

You don't need the S-05 if you went with the 1056 option. Just throw it in the drawer and save it for another batch. As far as using dry yeast, some recommend rehydrating it just to be sure...others like myself don't even bother. And generally you would not bother with making a starter with a dry yeast unless you have some mega huge monster OG of a beer. As I recall, one pack of dry is equal to roughly 2.5 packages of liquid yeast. The lure behind liquid yeast is the ability to get specific flavor profiles and other characteristics you can't get from dried strains. Finally, IMO you would not want to mix a liquid with a dry yeast for fermentation unless you wanted to use the dry yeast to restart a stuck fermentation.

Sounds like an error in your favor to me. FWIW both 1056 and S-05 are Chico strains, and virtually identical to each other (along with WLP001). Looks like the OG for that kit is 1.070-1.074, which IMHO calls for pitching 200-250 billion yeast cells. Liquid yeast has ~70-100 billion cells per vial/package, while dry yeast has ~200 billion cells per package, so you'll need to make a starter if you use the 1056. If I were you, I'd use the 1056 and save the S-05 as an emergency back-up since it will store well for a long time. I always have a couple packets of dry yeast on hand just in case.

Thanks for the advice guys; sounds like I will be saving my Safale in case I ever run into the dreaded "stuck fermentation".

I am so pumped for my brewday on Friday, I am adding an lb of corn sugar to the boil and an extra ounce of simcoe leaf hops during my dry hop from what the recipe comes with. Hoping for one super hoppy Imperial!!!

Latest posts

Back