Oatmeal Amber

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drewbeta

Reaction score
This is my first attempt at a recipe, and would love some feedback.

.5 lb Caramel Wheat
.5 lb Biscuit
.25 lb Oats

4 lb Amber DME
3 lb Light DME

2 oz Cluster 60 min.
1 oz Willamette 5 min.

Wyeast 1056

43 IBU

TIA. I discovered a local home brew store, and would like to attempt my own recipe. This is derived from a recipe that I found online with some adjustments that I feel will suite my taste better.

This is my first attempt at a recipe, and would love some feedback.

.5 lb Caramel Wheat
.5 lb Biscuit
.25 lb Oats

4 lb Amber DME
3 lb Light DME

2 oz Cluster 60 min.
1 oz Willamette 5 min.

Wyeast 1056

43 IBU

TIA. I discovered a local home brew store, and would like to attempt my own recipe. This is derived from a recipe that I found online with some adjustments that I feel will suite my taste better.

It looks pretty sweet, so if that's what you're going for it should do it. I'd suggest that biscuit malt and oats both need to be mashed, so add 2 pounds of two row to your grain. Then just hold it in 5 quarts of water at 150-155 for an hour, and then pour 170 degree water over the grains to sparge. That will give you a partial mash.

add two row to the grain and mash instead of steep? I've only steeped grain up to this point in my brewing career, so sorry for my ignorance.

Just made a Double red with 10% oatmeal last night. Smells delicious.

You can use Quaker Instant oats if your HBS is over priced or out of oatmeal. A good cold crash might be necessary to help with the cloudiness most people experience with oatmeal.

Looks good. I like to use oats, they give a thicker smoother head that caramel/carapils.

Flaked barley gives a really thick head, the kind you can float a bottle cap on.

Just so I'm straight, that would make this a partial mash recipe rather than an extract then? Still learning...

Here's my modified recipe:

.5 lb Biscuit
.5 lb Caramel Wheat
.25 lb Oats
2 lb Two-Row
3 lb Amber DME
2 lb Light DME
2 oz Cluster 60 min.
1 oz Willamette 5 min.
Wyeast 1056

Can you think of another hop that would work well for flavor? A yeast that would work well? I'm partial to Cascade, but I don't think that they would work well with this. What about Fuggles at 15 min?

drewbeta said:
Here's my modified recipe:

.5 lb Biscuit
.5 lb Caramel Wheat
.25 lb Oats
2 lb Two-Row
3 lb Amber DME
2 lb Light DME
2 oz Cluster 60 min.
1 oz Willamette 5 min.
Wyeast 1056

Can you think of another hop that would work well for flavor? A yeast that would work well? I'm partial to Cascade, but I don't think that they would work well with this. What about Fuggles at 15 min?

I would use fuggles or willamette. I love using oats. Let us know how this turns out.

Cheers!

It's not badly priced either. I think if it turns out good, this might become my house brew. I'm about a month off of brewing it, so we'll have to wait and see.

Back